[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Early type 44 rifle

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Early type 44 rifle
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:27 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

I think this is an early type 44 rifle. I bought this a few years ago as a broken rifle. The wrist area was broken almost in half when I got it. I repaired it bes I could and refinished it. I won't attempt to shoot it due to the extent of the damage. It is a mummed rifle with a very light scrub over the mum. I think its a first series carbine and I'm not sure if the bolt is matching to the rifle. The bolt doesn't match the last 3 of the serial number. I added the dust cover so I know that is a mismatch. Just thought I would share.

Damaged wrist on the stock, you can see the 2 cracks that were in the area.

Scrubbed mum, and other areas.

Resident of the Northern Republic of Free California

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

Post subject: Repair
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:23 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

You did a good job on the repair and re-finish. Yes, its a 1st variation. Pull the bolt release out and look at the number stamped on the ejector - your bolt may match that. If so the rifle is matched. Some were matched by assembly numbers stamped on the bottom of the receiver and other certain parts. riceone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:49 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

riceone

Thanks, 17 years as a custom wood worker comes in handy sometimes!! Bolt didn't match the ejector. I still think these are one of the nicest looking rifles made by the Japanese.

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:33 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Great job!

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ" - King Leonidas I of Sparta

Visit "Smokeless Powder", my firearms and 2nd Amendment blog: http://fingolfen.blogspot.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:38 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

thats a beauty :grin:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:25 am 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:49 am 
Colonel
Colonel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:07 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:35 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

If you ever want to part with that one let me know. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:50 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

But if I got rid of this one I would not have one!! I don't think either one of us will find a stock but it never hurts to keep looking!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:26 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

My stock is cracked in the same location, but mine looks like the crack might be a little worse than yours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:13 am 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Mark, I came across this thread tonight. I just finished cleaning my recent T-44 aquisition, 1770 units before yours. If yours has any Nagoya proofs behind the pistol grip it would indicate a rebuild. Many in our general serial number range did go through a rebuild. therefore a mismatched bolt would be appropriate. Some first variation 44's were matched by serial number and others by assembly number. The new T-38 book does not show a cut off point where one method stopped and the other began. It appears that the arsenal would match by one method and then, a few hundred or thousand units later switch to the other. So, if your bolt number matches either the serial number or the number under the receiver, it could be matching. On mine, 46303, the matching is by assembly number, 435, which is on the bayonet lug housing, rear sight ladder, rear sight slide, bolt release, bottom of the receiver, trigger, trigger housing, both tangs and the magazine.
These are pretty rifles and yours is especially nice looking.

Chuck Lamb.

PS. I finally finished the AK non-shooter. This was a great learning experience.
Again, thanx for your help.

Post subject: Repairing Crack
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:37 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

If you want to repair the crack, get some liquid super glue and with the rifle out of the stock, let the glue run from the top of the crack and it will come out the bottom. Clean up you mess and put it in some sort of press the push the split back together. The crack will seal nicely. I beleive it acetone that will cut the super glue for cleanup. Seems a lot of Japanese rifles are cracked in that area. riceone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:45 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Rice one

Thanks for the info! As an ex custom wood worker I have used std wood glue and 2 part epoxy but the super glue idea is one I have not tried and I have found a crack in my pretty N.E.Westinghouse SA Mosin.

Chuck

It's nice to see you over here. It's a small group compared to others out there but good group of members. But watch the Yockster guy!! I'm my help was useful for your build.

I will look at my t44 tonight when it cools down and I go out to the garage to work on the Spitfire and I'll get into the safe.

But this does bring up another question on the last ditch rifles did all the bolts match when they went out.

http://www.auctionarms.com/Closed/Displ ... =8731702.0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:24 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Mark, I bellieve that all Japanese rifles had matching bolts when the left the armory. They either matched by serial number or by assembly number. I think they got shifted around on the trip back to the U.S.

I saw a magic word on your last post, Spitfire, unless it is one of the three wheel [inc. one tail wheel] types, I have one of those also. Mine is a '68 Mk.3, also in the garage, also needing work. I've had it since the Summer of '71. I am replacing the differential with a later unit that does not leak, and has a taller final ratio and I'm doing the brakes. There is always something to do on her, but, not as bad as a 67 Fiat 850 Spyder I once had. It's most comfortable mode was sitting alongside the San Bernardino Freeway at 5:30 at night, as quiet as an olive.

How are the fires up there?

Chuck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:05 am 
Colonel
Colonel

Post subject: Re: Early type 44 rifle
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:34 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

This is an old thread but a good one. There is a fellow in Cleveland, Ala. that can put a splintered stock back together like it has never been borken. The stock will be stronger after the fix than it was before the break. If anyone is ever interested write and i will give his name to you. He put a stock back together that was broken completely in two peices. riceone