[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Type 38 long rifle mum over stamp

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:55 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Does any one know what the markings are on this type 38 Arisaka? This is one I'm looking at but I think the markings on it are a school markings? Am I correct in the idea? And also were the 38's matched to the serial number or the assemply number?

Thanks

Resident of the Northern Republic of Free California

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:10 am 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

The 38s were matched by assembly number I believe. At least that's what the old guy told me who sold me his rifle

NRA life member
583rd ORD Co/59 ORD BDE
Handorf FRG 1988-1990

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:30 am 
Corporal
Corporal

Nice rifle, matching or not..excellent tokyo over stamp AND the M stamp...What arsenal is it (nag 28?)???? different arsenals matched in different ways, some by serial, some by assembly number and some by both assembly number and serial on various parts, if you suspect assembly mating, pull out the bolt release and check the number atop the bar... Looks like a real beauty, and with those stamps, it would make a nice space holder, if its not too over priced. Toyko over stamped mum was for rifles removed for sale or gift out of military possession, As I recall M designates whom it was given to, but I cant recall which group/organization that is this morning (brain fart).. Someone smart like '03 man or someone will chime in and remember (and probably chastise me no end for stupidity :( )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:32 am 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

I have a 1st varation Type 44 that has the same marking on the receiver.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:47 am 
Colonel
Colonel

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:45 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:44 pm 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

nagoya 28th series rifles had the mum either ground or overstruck with the arsenal symbol and this mark added. yours had the kokura mark stamped over the mum, but i couldn't find any reference in MROJ for kokura rifles having this done.
the rear sight is a vee, and a 28th series nagoya should have a rear peep sight and a cupped buttplate, so I don't think it's a nagoya. maybe and early rifle that was sent through a re-arsenal at nagoya and put aside as war reserves?
Sorry guys, that's not much of an answer, but it's all i could come up with.

Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:32 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

The one my friend has,has the Mum overstruck with concentric circles.I don't remember which arsenal made it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:55 pm 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

concentric circle rifles are a whole nother animal! there were very few of those, and they command pretty high prices. highest s/n reported for a kokura concentric circle rifle is 1436, highest s/n reported for a nagoya concentric circle is 2598, according to MROJ 5th edition.
some of these also had the school marking stamped on them, and some had the second class mark (looks like an "=" inside a circle) stamped on them.

a concentric circle rifle sold on an online auction this week for over 1100 bucks.

y'all have a good day, Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:01 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Keith

Doe this one fall under the concentric circle realm or is this a passed from military use to school use?

Either way I'm letting the seller know that I'll take this as it includes the bayonet also and it just looks down right good. And at 350.00 i don't think thats too bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:15 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

The serial number on the rifle has the double zeros like the book I have says is for rifles taken out of Military use (001664418).

Here are more photos of the rifle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:57 am 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

mybusa, the double zero's don't necessarily make it a non shooter. I've seen quite a few of these that were being shot by their owners with no problems. I think the zero's indicate rearsenal, too. The ones that were too worn to make repairs worthwhile were sent to schools.

the concentric circle I was speaking of, the outer circle is the same size as the mum, the inside circle just slightly smaller. the mum on yours was cancelled with the kokura arsenal symbol. A lot of earlier rifles had the mums cancelled with small circles on the tips of the mum leaves.

y'all have a good day, Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:53 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Keith

Thanks for the info. I have placed the rifle on hold and I have 30 days to pay for it. I do not have a canceled rifle in my collection and this looks like a good example.

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:23 pm 
Major
Major

Since we are on the subject here is the mum and school marking on my type 38

since we were discussing the school marking I figgured I would show what
it looks like

Old Thor ain't got nothing on me.

Gungrubber

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:09 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

I like that. It looks good also and there is a known history about it.

Thanks

Mark