[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Type 99 27th Series?

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Type 99 27th Series?
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:25 pm 

As with quite a few of you here. Mine came from my father who brought it back from Japan in 1946. Lastditch T99

Serial Number with Arsenal Marks Tokyo Juki Kogyo

Grounded Chrysanthemum

Matched Bolt and Firing Pin to Rifle

Bolt

Type 30 Bayonets Hooked Quillon Kokura Rikugun Zoheisho Arsenal (possible proof mark below) Straight Quillon Hikari Seiki Seisako-jo (under Kokura Supervision)

With Bayonet

Looking down barrel showing lastditch rear sights

Wood butt plate. Notice hole only for rope sling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:41 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Welcome to the board!!

Nice looking rope hole rifle. Time to get some light oil and some 0000 steel wool and clean it up a bit. Or send it to me and I'll clean it up :D :D

Again nice rifle and I think there will be some here to ask if the hole in the butt stock goes all the way through which should make it a rope hole stock.

Resident of the Northern Republic of Free California

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:49 pm 
Corporal
Corporal

Nice rifle. Please rub a little oil on the metal, it needs something to stop the rust.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:29 pm 

Started on the cleanup yesterday. It has a light coat of CLP on it now. The barrel is in great shape. Rifling and the barrel are perfect. Will do on the light oil and steel wool. Stock looks a bit dry, not sure 100% what to put on it. Don't want to do anything to mess it up. Will probably break it down all the way and give it a 100% cleanup.

Yes the hole goes all the way through the stock.

This rifle, along with another, 4 bayonets and 2 swords (without handles) were taken from a factory in Tokyo. My Dads ship was actually the first ARL Navy ship in Tokyo Bay. They were anchored 400-500 yards from the USS Missouri when the Peace Treaty was signed.

http://www.navsource.org/archives/10/19/1919.htm

Any input on the best thing to put on the stock, would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:50 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

What ever you do don't sand on the stock! The Japanese used their own special way to treat them and if you sand the stock it would be BAD! I would get other opinions here for the stock as there are folks with more knowledge here but I use mineral oil (found in stores) it is clear and a very light oil.

For the metal take your time (over days) and soak it. After a good 24 hour soak lightly rub with 0000 steel wool and repeat. All you want to is clean the rust not the finish. It is a rope hole stock so they were really at the end of their production. The best thing is it is part of your family history and you should NEVER part with it!!

Resident of the Northern Republic of Free California

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:49 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

What others have said - be careful on the metal - take your time getting it cleaned up. Don't fart with the stock - rope hole stocks are very rare and very valuable - especially matching examples like this one that are TJK to boot. You have a rare and exquisite specimen there, and your father has left you a wonderful legacy - TREASURE IT!!!!

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ" - King Leonidas I of Sparta

Visit "Smokeless Powder", my firearms and 2nd Amendment blog: http://fingolfen.blogspot.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:40 pm 

huh. I have a TJK 37th series a few thousand before yours, in the 35000 range IIRC. all metal matching, but the stock was sporterized. it still has the wooden buttplate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:56 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

I agree with what the other's have said. Oil the metal and clean the metal with 0000 steel wool very carefully. As for the stock they didn't have much or any finish to start with so I would not do anything more to the stock than rub it with a soft rag with a light coat of gun oil or WD-40. Most of the stocks on the later made rifles didn't have much finish and little or no shine. Very nuce rifle you have there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:07 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Firedevil, you have a very nice and very rare rifle. Being from your Dad only adds to the value. I paid $1100 for one just like it about a year ago. That will give you a value for your rifle. Stock on mine is finished about like yours. They look almost refinished but they are not. Some think along about the time these were made, that the finishing was done in home shops which explains one will look on way and another, another. They were in such a hurry to make mine they did n ot stamp serial numbers on it. Go to www.riceone1.com and scroll down to l99 rifles and you will find mine. riceone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:16 pm 

I appreciate all of the great input and feedback that all of you have given me. I knew I had something that was at least somewhat valuable monetarily, but that is not my interest at all. It's a valuable part of World hsitory and my family history combined, that is what interest me most. Taken care of, I can pass it down to the next generation.

Riceone, very nice website. You have a great collectiion. Cleveland, MS I see. used to go through there a lot on my way to visit grandparents and other relatives in Clarksdale. My uncle delivered Rainbow bread going down 61 from Clarksdale to Cleveland. My grandfather used to run a store in Lake Comorat and one of my aunts was a teacher in Tunica....There were no casios in those days...LOL IT's a small world indeed.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:27 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:04 am