[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Restoring a Sniper

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Restoring a Sniper
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:33 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

I am in the process of restoring a T99 sniper that has been badly butchered. The bolt matches the receiver and that is all that will be used as the stock has been chopped and the original barrel taken out and a Sringfield barrel installed. They did away with the scope base and I had Don Schlickman make and install one. I have a 6th series 99 rifle to rob the stock, hardware and barrel. riceone.

Donar Rifle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:59 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Neat! Looking forward to seeing the finished product

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

Post subject: Donar Stock
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:49 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

I have mortised the donar stock for the T99 Scope block. Now to Stain it. riceone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:36 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Great project.
I've looked at your site and I'm very impressed.

What can you tell us of the Germany manufactured Sniper setups they supplied to the Japanese?

Were these only modifications made to Japanese manufactured rifles, such as mounting German optics, or were the guns themselves made in Germany?

I seem to remember reading of the Japanese buying a few takedown versions of the Mauser rifles. Near as I can remember these were similar to the 98K in outwards appearance but used the sporter style interupted thread takedown feature.
If they really existed don't think any of these survived the war, at least I've never seen even an image of one.
When the Japanese stopped using paratroopers early on in the war takedown designs lost their charm. Though the Japanese air commandos who were delivered to their US held island air field targets by controled crashes of converted bombers might have made use of them.

A Takedown Mauser sniper rifle of exactly that type was featured in one of the "Dirty Dosen" sequels, though it was just as likely a prop made up for the film.

Takedown rifles interest me. In the early 20th century US, traveling by Train made the takedown rifle easier to keep among your carry on baggage.

The Japanese takedown rifles are among the best, and the use of a breech extension was a stroke of genius.
Apparently some last ditch cast receivers using the same sort of breech extension made for extremely strong actions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:36 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:43 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

██ █ ████ everything ███ █████ is █████ ████ ████ fine ████ ███ █ ██████ love. █████ ███████ ███ your █████ ████ government.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:48 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:01 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post subject: Stain
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:41 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Mario, I'll just experiment with this and that till I get something as close as I can. Its harder to match than it is to do a whole stock and make it look close to original. riceone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:03 pm 
Captain
Captain

Hey!

I just happend to be buzzing about "The Backbone of the Whermacht" reading German/Japanese rifles, and that Germany was selling arms and equiment to the Chinese, untill 1938 when a pact between Germany and Japan reduced the sales to China, and Japan bought up the contracted equipment with 20,000 K98k's.
The rest of Chinas and Japans contracts were cancelled by Hitler when he geared up to invade Poland.
The only outstanding "Mark" is that the Mauser commercial banner is struck on them.
No snipers are mentioned, but I wouldnt put it past Mauser sales people to send a couple "Sales samples"

looking good Roy!
I cant wait to see the finished restoration :D

Last edited by ehailstone on Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:27 pm 
International Man of Mystery
International Man of Mystery

Wow, that is a fantastic project Roy.
Wish I had the skills to do something like that.
I will enjoy watching this project.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martin

Post subject: Restoring
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:49 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Millwright he is from Dubuque. Here is the stock after finishing of cut out. riceone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:10 am 
Grand Pooh-Bah
Grand Pooh-Bah

Riceone that is super looking. Looks like you hit the stain spot on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:58 am 
Major
Major

Nice finish Roy!!

like fr8 said you hit it spot on :-o :-o

GG

Old Thor ain't got nothing on me.

Gungrubber

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:46 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Nice work Roy! I cant wait o see the final results. What were your thoughts for a scope?

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:28 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

what happened to my post ? :(

nice match on the furniture roy :D

Post subject: Don
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:00 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

He is a superior craftsman. For that reason I will not make anything he sells. I could not compete. I would like to come up there and meet him. Since you live in the same vacinity I could make a double stop. I bought a middle band for a 38 carbine from him recently and unless you are knowledged you cannot tell the difference. He does good work. roy

Post subject: Scope
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:02 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Et2ss, I and doing this for someone else. He has a 4 power Japanese sniper scope to put on it. When I send it to him I wll see if he will send me a picture of the rifle with the scope on it. roy

Post subject: Future
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:22 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post subject: Finished
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:58 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Here is the restored Sniper.