Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:10 am 
Colonel
Colonel

Ok first of all I do not have a photo of it yet and I will tomorrow if I get a chance. I bought a 99 rifle to use as a parts gun. The receiver is a mummed receiver but incorrect and the rifle is a piece together someone did (not me).

Any ways all the last ditch stock's I have seen were 2 piece lower/main stock yet this one is a one piece and has no provision for a cleaning rod. It has the large round cross bolt and two screw rear sling swivel and a wooden but plate. What era/arsenal would this be from?

It did have a nice last ditch looking leather sling on it! Here is a photo of the completed rifle.

Resident of the Northern Republic of Free California

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:12 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

very nice - im kicking myself reglarly for parting with my T99 , and you keep reminding me :(

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:21 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

I saw a last ditch rifle once that had the sling nailed to the buttstock. No sling swivel and no sign it had ever had one.
That particular rifle had an action body that matched one in a reference book that stated it was assembled on the receiver of a 1905 or 1915 calvary carbine with a bolt of a later configuration.
It was a very short version, a little longer than the regular carbines, and had a wooden buttplate. I'm not sure but I think it had no grip strap like I'd seen on most such rifles. My old blank firing trainer built on a salvaged older model receiver also had no grip strap and has a one piece stock. I don't remember if the last ditch rifle I saw had a one piece stock or not, but I think some of these used one piece stock blanks of inferior wood intended for the trainers or left over from earlier types.
Reshaped stock blanks meant for non Japanese rifles from captured Chinese factories and in other occupied territories is another possibility.
I think some last ditch rifles were assembled in occupied territories outside Japan using local slave labor. They'd probably be different in detail to the more common types.

PS
There are a number of variations of the Mum. Could be it has a Mum from WW1 or earlier.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:27 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Ah A Square don't feel bad about this one as it's a mismash of parts someone put together. The receiver is from an earlier rifle then the last ditch and when I pulled the rifle apart the barrel had vice markings where it had been put on. It is a nice mummed receiver so I'll keep it and put it away. I may actually have the correct arsonal/era barrel in the pile so it might be a project some day.

But if it makes you feel good here is a photo of my all matching and mummed Type 99's :bigrin: :bigrin:

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:25 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Some of the last rifles were put together using rejected stocks from earlier days. This accounts for some of them having a short handguard and a solid bottom stock. I have one in the 27th series with such a stock. I has all the inletting for a three screw front band, two screw rear swivel and steel butt plate. Yet has a wooden butt plate, one screw sling swivel and a rivited front band. riceone

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:03 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

....hey mybusa.....got any T99 longs in your brood...???

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:54 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

I think I have a barreled receiver and that's it. I would have to check if that would be what you were looking for.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:11 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

....no,not lookin' for one-just curious if you had any...I only have one Japanese rifle-bringback with papers,and its a long....dont see many around and dont hear much about them-everyone seems to have the short ones....just feelin' a lil' lonely... :lol

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:46 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

They are very hard to find let alone afford! I have only seen one in this area in 10 years and it was the parts gun I currently have parts from. I am missing one at the moment and feel your loneliness only because I would like to have one!