[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - SMLE 1916 III(1914 III photos added 3/8/2008)

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SMLE 1916 III(1914 III photos added 3/8/2008)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:36 pm 
Major
Major

I know someone who has a SMLE 1916 III Enfield, with the mag cut off , all matching numbers, the bore is real dark but every thing else looks about normal. And it is [b]NOT import marked. I know what the importers sell them for , but whats a vet bring back going for these days? He is thinking of selling it.

Last edited by subhunter76 on Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:57 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

its tuff to tell without actualy seeing it , but if its a III , and not a III* , its worth a premium over the going rate for the later rifles , particularly if the important bits are there [volley sights , widage adjustable rear sight , cutoff , and matching numbers] even with a frosty bore she would be a good one to me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:34 pm 
Major
Major

It does have the volly sights with the adjustable windage knob. No paper work to verify it's a bring back, but the guy got it from the same guy he got the type 44 jap carbine that I bought from him. He wants to sell the enfield also , but I could not give hima value.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:54 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

its a great one to have , and sounds like its pretty much intact - id go for it , start in the $200 range but thats low , id not hesitate to go $350 if it was in good shape or cleanable without damage to the finishes , and if the cutoff was there along with the other normal bits in good nick ,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:45 pm 
Major
Major

It does have the cutoff, and it it a III not a III*. small stock repair at the butt. Only worry was the dark bore, but the rifleing is stron and it's there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:56 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

dont let the bore bother you unless your thinking of selling at a profit soon , lots of times cleaning / shooting / cleaning / repeat -will take care of it

sounds like a great one to have - id get her :grin:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:22 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:44 am 
PFC
PFC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:00 am 
Major
Major

I don't think you can see an * marks on the butt stock. The markings are on the band around the wrist and there is no * there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:22 pm 
PFC
PFC

Hello Subhunter,
The "band" around the wrist is the buttsocket. I mis-spelled it earlier but I think we're on the same page now... not the buttstock.
Ok... In the "List of Changes" there is an entry for the omission of certain features to speed up production during the war. Among these omissions, but not limited to, are the Volley Sights ( They are on the left side of the forestock ), the Magazine Cut-off , and the Rear Sight Windage Adjustment, Creating the Mk.III* with the * representing the changes.. The official date for these changes was Feb.2, 1916. In Skennertons "Lee-Enfield Story" there is one sentence in a paragraph that suggests Enfield and BSA both produced a few Mk.III* rifles in 1915, jumping the gun, if you will. I went on a hunt for this particular variant and now have 2 Enfield examples and 2 BSA ones. I have also seen a few BSAs' that other board members have shared photos of. When in 1915 these arsenals actually started to produce the MK.III* or if they continued to also make the MK.III as well ,alongside the Mk.III*, is unknown but I would have thought it late in 1915 and as a result, you will only find examples of both models, the Mk.III and the III* dated 1915. If the arsenals were obligated to produce the Mk.III until at least Feb. 1916 that would leave only one month in 1916 of Mk.III production and, in my opinion as a "detail" collector, a Mk.III dated 1916 has to be one of the rarest variants and to this day has eluded me. This does not include a Mk.III* which has had it's * lined out to return it to MK. III status.

I would say pick up the rifle just on it being a unusual variant... but that would only be important if you are a collector.... as a shooter you may have no interest in these facts.

Best of luck,

David

PS... The above does not apply to LSA as they continued to produce the Mk.III long after the Mk.III* was in full production.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:22 pm 
Major
Major

thats interesting. I happen to own the book you refer to , and I do have a few enfields, No 5, No 4 mk2, No 1 in .308, and a No 1 mk 3 *, P14. So I suppose one more would not hurt. IF it is truly rare then even better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:32 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

thats why i had encouraged you to buy and questioned the markings as well , , the mkIII in 1915 is rare enough the 1916 would be the very end for the factory listed , and i should think it to be a great catch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:44 pm 
Major
Major

Well I have not heard back form him yet so I don't know if he wants to let it go still. But it sounds like I should grab it if I can get it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:33 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

or tell him i want it :D , ill find the cash somehow :) , but i may have to come live with you for a couple months - so ill let you play with the rifle while im there ? :lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:13 pm 
Major
Major

Well the guy does want to part with it for $200, but I found out its dated 1914 not 1916, so ...... is it still worth the $$$$$

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:10 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:33 pm 
Major
Major

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:33 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

a 1914 would be right at the beginning of the war - thats pretty special , someones going to get a nice rifle i think

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:05 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

not to mention the recent ones were reworked in india , be sure and pass this contact on to someone you care about , it does seem a good deal on a rifle you dont see often ,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:59 pm 
Major
Major