[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - My Enfields

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: My Enfields
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:06 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

2 Classic rifles Mac! I always have a weak spot for an Enfield :lol

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:29 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Shoot it & enjoy it. Pass it down to someone in the family when you go on to greener pastures. I've seen too many of those cut up. It pains me to see history lost.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:58 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

nice looking rifles , you know i love the enfields and have a deep fondness for the P14/M17

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:04 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

thats a story worth putting down for your heirs, i think it makes it near priceless in my book , im glad you have gron to love her - these have been my favorites since i found them ,

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:27 pm 
Major
Major

sfcMac.
Which rifle do you want to mount a scope on?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:37 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

There are 'scout' mounts for the mosin. They replace the rear sight leaf and require a long eye relief scope.

And there is a clamp on type of mount available for the LE.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:24 pm 
Major
Major

There are several makes of mounts that replace the rear sight of the No.4s &5. Some are made of aluminum (ATI) and some steel. No drilling is required, but I did use a close fitting center punch to make a small dent in the front screw mount so the mount was immobilized and used blue loctite to set the screws. You may have to find or make a set screw with a pointed tip if you choose to do this. There is no rear screw. It uses the same mounting fixture as the orginal sight.
BTW these use a regular eye relief scope. You will have to buy or make a cheek piece like the British No.4 Mk1T to stabilize your weld.
G

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:25 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

both were scoped back when , but neither have a really easy scope mount of an uninvasive nature , i would shoot iron with these - the mkIII* has its traditional 'V' knotch and the M17 has decent peep style rear sights ,

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:25 am 
Major
Major

Mac,
what markings does your mk1 have and is it US Property marked?
Anything on the buttplate.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:24 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Mac,

you might consider fitting a Parker Hale model 5B sight to your P17. They are often sold on e-bay

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:40 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

sorry - brain fart - mkI / no1 confussion on my part , the no4 is readily adapted to scope without D&T , and as neil mentioned the PH

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:39 pm 
Major
Major

Asquare,
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. I had to read Macs and your post at least three times before I did not read No.1. I am not used to seeing No.4 Mk1 in the abbreviated form. The brain plays funny tricks when it is expecting one expression and something else shows up. I think its called completion and sometimes it gets it wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:35 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

oldnavy - im getting old , i have been admitting it to myself as time has passed , but often i forget - missread , it leaves me looking the fool on occasion , but if annalized in context im 'not far off' ,

one day soon i may have to retire , i just dont want to leave the forums any time soon , i generally revisit the previous posts prior to posting , in this case i did not ,

thank you for the moral suport - i will read closer in the future

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:11 am 
Major
Major

i'll take brain farts anyday over precocious whippersnapper. :jmp: :velo:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:03 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

How did they screw the pooch?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:10 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

He was asking to see if it was a Savage manufactured rifle. You had already established that it is an English made weapon. If it were Savage it would be marked 'US Property' on the receiver. Or some of the parts with a squared off 'S' or the flaming bomb mark

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:34 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Paul,

know there shouldn't have been any Savage marks but I knew already that yours was Brit manufactured. I think Oldernavy may have missed that earlier in the thread.

The crescent isn't surprising being where the rifle has lived for several decades before Century brought them in.

I still don't get what you mean by Century screwing the pooch?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:30 pm 
Major
Major

All,
Yeah, hehe
I kind of realized that it was Brit made, but I was following up on a post from Box O Truth where there was pictured a Savage made Turk with US property markings. Either we shipped some to Turkey before we entered the war or they were part of a later combined shipment from Britain that included some earlier lend lease from the U.S. Does anyone know which British arsenal made it?
This is the second post first previous post went to oblivion. :oops:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:18 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Look at this link to serial number blocks used on No.4 rifles. You should be able to identify the Ordnance Factory that made your rifle from this.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:53 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Serial number beginning with A 0225 and this is on the side underneath the date (1943) it is almost obliterated.
If the serial number is A 0225, that would be in the BSA serial number block. However, you may be missing some letters or numbers as the number was electro-pencilled onto the butt socket and I suspect it could be "AE" like your bolt. The 1943 is obviously the year of manufacture.

Above the date is M47
M47 is the wartime code for BSA (the m standing for midlands)

There certainly is a square (s) on top of the magazine.
A square "S" means tha the magazine or if its on the follower, that part was made by Savage here in the USA. It's common for magazines to have been swapped.

The number on the side of the receiver begins with MK4,
That number was put there by the importer - Century. any hard to read serial number meant that Century had to clearly mark a serial number on the rifle to comply with the law - it isn't necessarily the same as the half obliterated one.

the number on the side of the bolt handle begins with letters AE..
theae were also electropencilled and very faint - take a magnifying glass and play with the light - there's a good chance it matches the serial number on the butt socket.