[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Help Identifying My Enfield is a bit different

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help Identifying My Enfield is a bit different
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:08 pm 

Stock doesn't go to end of barrell.
Guess a pic is worth 100 words so i will try to post a few.
Dont know a lot about it got it from a guy that said his Grandfather carried it.
I personnally cant imagine trading off a family gun and i have a few.
Have a box of ammo in these little clips in bandoleras
im thinking not to shoot them
Can someone help me with identification?
BSA Co
SHT LE III
can i post pics?
RS3.jpg
RS3.jpg [ 74.07 KiB | Viewed 7224 times ]

RS2.jpg
RS2.jpg [ 73.43 KiB | Viewed 7224 times ]

Post subject: Re: Help Identifying My Enfield is a bit different
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:40 pm 

Attachments:
RS4.jpg
RS4.jpg [ 94.3 KiB | Viewed 7224 times ]
RS1.jpg
RS1.jpg [ 108.04 KiB | Viewed 7224 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:50 am 
Major
Major

It is a British No1MkIII (Mark 3)SMLE Short Magazine Lee Enfield. Commonly used by the Brits in WW1 and WW2. The stock has been cut down, do a web search to see what an unaltered one looks like. If your friends grandfather carried that, I don't know, or maybe one like it. The stock alteration would have occured after it left the service. If fires the British .303 round.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:46 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

I also think that with the 'England' stamp this would have been imported not brought back. It appears that the front sight has also been altered in the 'sporterization' process. Your friend's grandfather may have carried one only if he was in the Brit, Canadian or Australian army (or some Brit colony). Most times you have to take a grain of salt with any story about a milsurp.

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:37 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

congrats , [buy the rifle -not the story]

this is a very worthwhile restoration project , its a real mkIII [no* - star] WWI BSA made just as they were converting to the mkIII* configuration , it not only originally had a full length forearm and upper handguard but it also had volley sights and a cutoff , rear sight would have been windage adjustable ,

sorry - photos dont show me enough of those bits or the rear sight to be certain whats there and whats not

this is what it would have looked like - my 1915 BSA mkIII

cutoff-[not the one on my BSA - best photo i have of one ]

volleys-

windage adjustable rear [mine is pinned]-

overall , its the top one -

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:36 pm 

Thanks guys I know nothing about these guns and I'm not a collector of these and probably will never restore it. If it should be restored I'd like to get it in someone's hands that would appreciate it, do it right and enjoy it.
Should I take it to a show or is worth the trouble to try to trade it to a collector?
I got it from a student of mine through a trade. And really have very little in it. What do you guys recommend?
Thanks and I have more pics if needed for identification.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:46 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

where are you and what is you interest for trades ?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:56 pm 

I have no idea the guns value I'm in tulsa Oklahoma.
I seriously don't know if we are talking about a $100 gun or a $1000 gun?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:03 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

In it's current state $100 or less (depending on bore & headspace condition). The killer is the front sight. Without seeing what was done, it might be near impossible to get it back to 'stock'. The other bits (most of them except the volley's & volley cut stock) are easily obtainable.

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:38 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

The barrel is also not original to the rifle as it has the Ishapore proof mark on it and not BSA.