[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Seems I have aquired an Enfield

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seems I have aquired an Enfield
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:02 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Stopped at a gun show today and this was one of the things that came home with me. Other than being what I believe to be a Snider-Enfield with a 14.7m/m bore and fits the .577 cartridge it came with I have nothing that will help me and after a couple of hours of trying my rather weak google-fu still have no clue what the markings are/mean. Can anybody here help out. phphegHEmPM.jpg
phphegHEmPM.jpg [ 80.9 KiB | Viewed 9157 times ]
php4ML6VQPM.jpg
php4ML6VQPM.jpg [ 72.56 KiB | Viewed 9157 times ]

Stock right side at butt has a round cartouch with what looks to read enfield R (a crown) M with what may be another crown in the center of that, this is stamped over a 5 over 1867
Top picture not to clear base of sight has 50 on hammer side 2 on other over loading gate is II. over * over * top of loading gate has a crown over x(?) over 4(?) hard to read and L.S.A.C, inside loading gate marked T W 34. left side of barrel is marked with crown over X over P, crown over X over 2, in front of loading block offside from hammer is marked Crown over X over P, and a crown over X over 1. Sorry my pictures are not better still can't do a good close up on gun.

Last edited by mabk on Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Seems I have aquired an Enfield
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:04 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

phpxphgn2PM.jpg
phpxphgn2PM.jpg [ 99.19 KiB | Viewed 9156 times ]
picture of lock. Behind hammer crown with V.R, in front of hammer date 1856 over ENFIELD also has a crown with a arrow or an anchor coming out the bottom of the crown, I believe it is an arrow but not sure.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:16 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

nice one , i've not yet photograghed my snider or P1853 but i dont think mine is as nice as yours appears to be

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:26 am 
The Knife
The Knife

Don't know if this will give you any more info or not.

http://www.militaryrifles.com/Britain/Snider.htm

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:32 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Thank you the site you posted helps, looks like it is a type 2 english. Wonder if I can figure out if it was english or canadian issue. With my main interest in US military I have just about no research material to look through for the oddballs I tend to gather.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:02 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Try this site as well:

You appear to have a Snider Enfield Mark II**

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:09 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

and check here these folks are the experts in this topic ,
http://britishmilitariaforums.yuku.com/ ... ield-Forum

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:02 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Thanks for the web sites all, a great deal of help. I collect mostly U.S. military with the odd ball non American when one catches my fancy. However my research material really shows the US leaning so when one like this enfield snyder comes home it is google fu time, and I am really not very good at it, IE lots of stupid questions posted. Thanks agin for any and all help. help

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:30 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i still have a couple high end US bayonets you might be interested in :>}

and im open to trades .....

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:19 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:18 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Few of what we consider distinctively British arms were actually invented by the British.

Just for the sake of clarity regarding the Lee Enfield rifle, the action was designed by James Paris Lee, who was born in Britain (Scotland) to British parents, emigrated to Canada when he was five years old. Grew up and learned his trade as a watchmaker from his father. He moved to Wisconsin, USA when he was 27, but never became a US Citizen.

I would postulate that the Lee Enfield is the quintessential British arm and was invented by a British person.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 11:22 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 11:31 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i think back in the days we all recall as "good old days" citizenship was somewhat assumed by ones assumption of an adopted country - not so much like invading it - but more so by applying and being allowed in , then establishing ones presence by the efforts of labor and complying with the laws and [in our case] paying the taxes as well as assimilating into the society ,

i do not know if he applied for citizenship formally or was assumed to be such , it does not matter in the discussion at hand as there are few government adopted firearms that have no influence from a foreign national , in some cases they were out-and-out plegeralistict copys of someone else's designs or patents , some re-compensated monetary and some not , i am glad he did what he did when he did it ,