[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - these are the last anyone will take from me ....

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: these are the last anyone will take from me ....
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:09 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

but , given the premise , limited space and you need to move quick [i dont - im speculating here] what would you cull to ?

would you keep your no4s because you have a good cover of these and they are shooters ?

would you keep your no1s because they have the character and you have enough invested to loose your a$$ getting them gone?

would you pick the best of each ? remeber - you have a bunch of nice ones - which do you choose ?

what do you do with the P14/M17 step children ?

and what do you then do with the resat of the great pieces that are unrelated ?

i know , many will think im on the brink - no im not , i know the day will come - sometime when i must downsize [i may give them away - i may sell them who knows]
some may think im wasting time and bandwidth , but , think about it , we all face these things every day , if i get me [& you] thinking about it now we may cope with it better ,

i for one would feel im giving away one of my kids , but we all know there will come a day when they will leave .......................................................just speculating and wondering if im the only one

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:36 pm 
Major
Major

What!!!

Reduce mine to a select few. If you owned the Louve and were given an order to reduce the numbers of paintings would you choose By artist, genre, Price (maybe) the thought is too horrible to contemplate. In denial. Now I am going to have nightmares. "Sophies Choice".

Do like the Vikings, just load them on a ship along with my body and set it on fire. Just kidding. Yeh give them to offspring, relatives, irrelatives, inlaws, and outlaws. Sell what you need to remain fiscally responsible.

Last edited by oldernavy on Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:46 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

no offence takin - i could load the vikings on a burning ship too :D

and i think in the end i would prefer if my friends would load me on a burning raft as well :D , not with the viklings however , i do hope the good lord takes me when im fishing , but please let me have a good one on at the time ;)

but im serious about the downsize - i may , one day , face that , and id not want to suddenly face it with no options without a plan , soooooo , id really like to hear the logic you would apply in such a situation ,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:09 pm 
Major
Major

BTY are you talking about Minn. Vikings or Vikings in general. I was just being tonue and cheek. No offense. Everyone was a little rude back in the old pillage and plunder days.

Between posts on enfields and semiautos I guess that I would have one bolt gun a Nagant. They are pretty indistructable. Enfields are nice for their 10 shot mags, but if you have an AR15, SKS, or AK style that advantage is nil. Plus it is not always easy finding ammo for enfields. There is plenty of Russian long and short, but not as easily found in Wally World while 223 can be found at sports shops, W.W. under rocks etc. I don't know if that is within your sphere of consideration or not, But if a person had to leave in a hurry, how much could you carry with you and how much could you hope to find along the way or at your destination, that is if you had one or could even plan one. 223 and 7.62x39 are light. Of course a 22 side for small game. You could carry a lot of it. So it really depends on what kind of hypothetical situation or senario you are thinking of. A general one for everyone. A defensive senario where you are alone or protecting a few innocents and family. Might there be others that you could depend on for mutual defensive aid. There a number of permutations, but I think it would be difficult to cover all possibilities equally.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:45 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i was thinking MN VIKINGS , but what the hey if they fit lets load the others up too :grin:
as can be noted , im not overly politicaly correct - as a matter of FACT , i would prefer NOT to be in that catagory :)

you have won me over in one way but what about the collectibility ?
im looking at this as an old fart with a big house and no kids at home anymore - ive injected that my wife is very unimpressed with my storage needs and little or no concern will be applied , also every thing she ever touched is sacred and saved [i think this has to do with being a navy brat and moving a lot] but it means i have lotsa stuff to deal with [in any way you mkay choose to take that phrase] :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:51 pm 
Major
Major

OK,

I was on semi's while you were here so I have to think on this a while, my brain is full.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:13 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:17 pm 
Major
Major

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:41 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

good thoughts , im seeing these as viable , my only problem with the bequeeth by trust is that the recipeint is not as attached , dont realise just what they have , not totaly appreciative - so visitation becomes regular cleaning service for the kid and no respoincibility ? not sure this will work , but i like the idea of not loosing touch with one of my stepchilodren :D , and my kid :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:33 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Mike,

On a purely philosophical note, we will all face the same question one day but when we do will it be at the best time or at the worst time.

If we consider a boxer - the best ones quit at the top. Those that don't, end up being "has beens." Putting this in context with rifle collecting, I have seen too many widows being helped by their late husband's "friends" in disposing of the collection, or son's bringing their deceased father's weapons to the gun show and having no clue as to what they have or what the value is. They are at the mercy of whomever they talk to.

I have two sons. Neither is a collector although both shoot. I will dispose of my collection personally and hopefully while I've still got my marbles :)

How I dispose of it will be my choice and will dictated to only by my circumstances at that time.

I'd better end this here before it starts to sound like my last will and testament :lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:52 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

well said all , well taken , im not quite ready to do anything but its time to think about it so i know what to do when that time does come , i appreciate all of your input ,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:22 am 
Colonel
Colonel

I have thought of this same question!

My decision as of now is if I have room I'll let the kids do what they will with them. I do try to keep a updated list of their values so if something did happen they have a general idea of what to sell them for.

I have thought of museum donation but as of late I have noticed that museums have sell offs and that is not what I would want them to do with things I have cared for.

Resident of the Northern Republic of Free California

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:28 pm 
Major
Major

you know you could take a select few, fill them with cosmoline or Rigs and seal them in pvc making a time capsule for someone hundreds of years later to find. Put in them all kinds of archive information sort of like the Swiss rifles with the previous owners information like LoLo found and looked up, but with far more comprehensive lit including photos, history or the weapon, owner for a time when it might be appreciated. That is if there will be anyone left to appreciate it and if they can read. Bury them or secrete them where they will not be destroyed by man or nature. The new pyramids. :) :) :) :D You could be as famous as King Tut at least to some. People read about Greek fire, but no one remembers how it was made because no one wrote the history and directions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:35 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

:D :D Or you could send them all to me and I would babysit them for awhile!! :grin: :grin:

There have been folks that have been buried in their cars so!!

Resident of the Northern Republic of Free California

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

Last edited by Mybusa on Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:56 pm 
Major
Major

old Soviet era military joke: "Why do Estonians pour oil on their flower gardens?" ANS: So the guns don't rust.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:57 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

:grin: :grin: like that one