[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - shot my postal with a no4

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: shot my postal with a no4
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:26 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

used the mk2 , i was wanting to use my 1898 krag - it grouped well but i was unable to get them into the black [see the us area for the results-not bad for a 100 year old rifle and 50 year old eyes tho] OK , i lied , the rifle is 109 and im 56 soon to be 57 , i cant help that my memory wants id diferently :-?
the rifle - FAZ 1953 , sn #PF372692 , made 10/53 , for the burma contract , [for those who dont know there were a number of contracts - not just the irish one , and many were stored in the wrap so dont just buy the story if you want an irish rifle ]

i shot 303 radway green british surplus ammo ,

and this was the results
not too bad for an old fart with failing eyes , i think the rifle shoots better than this ,

ready for the whinning ? it was 45F , the wind was about 15 , no - the sun was not in my eyes , but the three black powder shooters on the adjacent stands were putting plenty of smoke out there[actualy smelt kinda good tho]
all-in-all i had fun , might have been moreso if someone of you had been along , id have enjoyed sharing the day , hope i didnt embarass myself too badly , but i enjoyed it a lot , ive not shot this rifle in a year , i forgot how nice it is , smooth as silk - almost as smooth as the krag bolt , its a tough call

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:32 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i need to add that the far left target has a double hit in the bull - i did include another target if for any reason this comes into question, the fellow next to me was watching my shots in his spotting scope and assured me it was a double hit - when i retrieved the target i specifically asked if he was sure - i took his word but sent the fourth target in case you all didn't, ill be honest - i could not see and i could not tell, if it had been anyone but a stranger shooting next to me id have thrown it away,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:54 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

The ammunition shown is not British made at Radway Green but South African ammunition made by Armscor at Pretoria West Metal Pressings Pty. SA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:08 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Hi Mike
That is good shooting for (old eyes) Will we be able to talk to you when you become a B/General. Just had to put that in.We got our first snow that will stay -15c last night.Still want to get out to the range before it gets too cold.
Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:25 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

amatikula , you are correct - i grabbed the wrong bunch :D , but its OK it worked great , im very pleased with it :grin: , you will note i mentioned my bad eyes ? even while taking pictures [at the range incidently - those are exactly what i used] i could not see those headstamps , and i forgot i had this ammo , :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:01 pm 
International Man of Mystery
International Man of Mystery

What do you mean "old eyes"???
That is some great shooting you did there Michael.
Embarrassed???????????????? NO WAY.
I think you are great competition.

I like the pictures you took of the rifle and the ammo.
Very clear.....especially the close up of the ammo.
Thanks for sharing them.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:27 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

thanks martin , i am very fond of this camera - particularly when my closeups turn out like that as i truely couldnt see them in the viewfinder as anything but fuzzy ,
i have no close in vision left at all , and marginal distance vision , so i need magnifiers and perscriptions for distance to get thru the day anymore :( , as i said the rifle shoots well - if i repeat the sight picture [fuzzy as it is] it will do the rest , :D

gery , i needed a moment to catch your point - now i think i have it , are you implying im too wordy here ? i see my posts have gone up and im apperently getting 'credit' for it , but i assure you its only because there is so many great posts to respond to each day , and id far rather post than work[i do leave it on most of the time and add as my phone calls allow] it is a great stress reliever when i get bad calls :grin:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:48 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Nice shootin... in the pictures it doesn't LOOK that cold :)

██ █ ████ everything ███ █████ is █████ ████ ████ fine ████ ███ █ ██████ love. █████ ███████ ███ your █████ ████ government.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:07 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

it was 45f , i shot the photos when i first arrived , it got cloudy and the wind went from a breeze to a steady blow of moderate nature -but quite chilly , and got steadily cooler as i shot , and the sun never came back out :(

i had a light jacket and a ball cap - it was the first time i went shooting when i actually preferred to keep my ear gear in place - they kept me warm :)

i will say that the range is somewhat protected so i cant blame that for the shooting i did , it wasnt a factor at the moderate strength of it :-?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:29 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

I wont be able to get out until December 8th... I have a bad feeling about any concept of 'warmth' to come :(

██ █ ████ everything ███ █████ is █████ ████ ████ fine ████ ███ █ ██████ love. █████ ███████ ███ your █████ ████ government.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:36 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i agree , its likely to be a bit chilly , are you able to get to a range with warming facilities ? or do you have the ability to park close ? to me nothing messes up my shooting like being cold

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:41 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Thankfully I can park close, practically pull the car up sideways and shoot out the window :lol

At least we should have the range to ourselves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:54 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

thats true - it will get less populated , do you shoot at a nearby range oris there a drive involved ?
im fortunate - i live a few miles from work and its about halfway to the range , it often allows me to go over 'lunch' and in good weather thats a real nice break , if i plan ahead i can meet a friend and shoot about three to four times a week , but that does depend on the schedule - and often not in the cards , but im worrking on making it more often ,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:59 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

The range I frequent is just south of Cedar Rapids about 7 miles. So it's a drive, but one I'm used to. I'd like to get up to Matsells Bridge which has a VERY nice setup, but it's 30 miles there, and 30 miles after that if I want to head into Cedar Rapids when I'm done there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:18 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

not at all familiar with those areas , i know the region but not the specifics , id be inclined to look at a place that has a warming house if you wait too much longer , of coarse its better for me - you wont shoot as well - i might win :grin: :grin: :grin:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:26 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

so im slow on the uptake sometimes , and a bit new to the postal shoots , but it just dawned on me ---my missidentification of the ammo probably disqualifies me doesnt it ? :(
it never crossed my mind during this very enjoyable thread , but technically i provided farse info on my submital :-?
its too cold to go back out fellas , if its a problem its just a problem , id not blame anyone for contesting my entry , sorry bout that :-(