Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 11:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: i may have started something
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:31 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=65405

and then again maybe not - but this might turn into an enlightening thread on P14/M17 rifles for those that care

Post subject: Re: i may have started something
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:18 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

seems no one wants to play - oh well , might have been enlightening and fun ,

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:21 am 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Asquare, not to change the subject but you joined gunboards in 1969????? How old were you when you signed up? 5?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:19 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

in 1969 i was old enough to serve in veit nam , but i went to college at my mothers incistance ..........not at all sure that was the best choice , but that was the day for student deferments , one year later i was 1A :D

but the join date you mention is meant to make me look old and senile i think :lol

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:33 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

wish id have had a computer then - id have lots more milsurps today :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:09 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

I hear you there. I would have a few more Swedes and Enfields.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:02 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

seems noone ever really came out to play on that thread - oh well , it might have been fun and educational , these often get dropped just when im havin fun :(

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:46 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Not sure what you mean by "play" Mike. The Enfield Pattern rifles made in the USA are not well known to me. The only internet controversy I've seen is on what is an acceptable name for the 30.06 rifles. The official designation in the USA is "Model of 1917" or something like that, but the rest of the World calls it a P17. It is interesting to watch how angry those who were "potty trained too early" get when you call it a P17 - they insist that the only acceptable name is the US version that was never even used by the workers who made them.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:21 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i was more interested in reaction to other comments and ive given up on changeing minds on "wrong knowledge" they aquired elsewhere ,

the rifles are exactly the same design - by the folks at enfeild based on the muaser design of the US service rifle of the time springfeild 03 and features of the lee enfeild service rifle of the time the mkIII , in fact as designed it was meant to shoot a third cartrige alltogether in the P13 format ,

while aware of the dificulty of changeing cartriges , it was still more efficient than the arsenal production , and thats proven by shear numbers , obviously because of its design basis it made sence as well , and worked for both countries and all three factories ,

the "FACT" that collectors 'treat' them as seperate rifles [i agree BTW and do as well] dictates the need to recognise the seperate nomenclature ,

its the historic perception of the users that makes it commonly accepted to lump them together and call them both a "P" rifle , that same misunderstanding is what resulted in my father having a mkIII when he thought he was getting an 'american enfeild' in 3006 to go with his springfeild ,

while id not chastise anyone for calling there M17 a P17 i do use in my posts the correct terminology in the 'colectors world' where it is of importance ,

i guess its all the this controversy that id imagined would inspire an interesting discussion ,
one that new colectors might learn from and be inspired by , its those that helped me in my early researching efforts ,