[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Mark question.

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 12:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mark question.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:06 am 
Captain
Captain

What "Mark" or name was given to an Enfield that, as I think wasnt adopted, but trialed, and then sold as surplus in Canada?? My friend Don has one, with MKIII bands and wood, but the rear sight is a peep mounted on like a Mk4.
He bought it while residing in BC, and shot a deer with it, but had little idea of what he had except for what he heard from the guy who sold it to him.There was about 20 on the rack he picked from.

Im fairly sure it is a trial rifle, as it looks l one I think Ive seen here, Im sure, maby A-square has one???
It just rings familiar, so Im asking here, befor i do an indepth search or posts.

Post subject: Re: Mark question.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:00 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

what i have is a 'trials' no1 mkV , it was however "used" as these were "issued" to troops , there were 20,000 made and it was war time ,

i think you might be speaking of a no1 mkVI , there were very few made - they were not issued [ id love to find one :D ]

the next would be an early no4 - these were marked as a no1 and had most of the characteristics of the no4 mkI we all see regularly , werent many of thesec eather [id love to find one as well :D ]

i can repost my mkV photos if it would help

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:42 am 
Captain
Captain

That would be most excellent, A-Square10!

I knew I had seen it before, somewhere on these boards. :P

I'll copy it, print it, and compare, though Im only an sd Card away from pictures....just waiting for mail, so I can post soon.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:38 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Here's a No.1 Mark VI that I own for comparison:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:36 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

there you go - thats exactly what i refered to as a likely candidate ,

and heres the mkV - that preceeded it ,

that mkVI of neils is a true holy grail as there were very few made , the early no4 is also hard to find and im sorry i cant quote a number to illustrate but ill have to look that up

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:44 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

BTW - you will note that neils mkVI is very close to a no4 in appearance [at least things we look for]

and you will note that my mkV is very much a no1 [at least in things we look for]

but there are items that cross over - noteably the magazine cutoff , and that carries into the early no4s as well - thats what makes them special :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:26 am 
Captain
Captain

Definitly MkV
The rear sight and the Front end setup is definitly "IT"

I dont know where I get MKIII From, its just a number in my head for some reason....

Cool, now that I know its "Name' I'll pass on the info.

Anything else you might venture to add , guys?

Were these issued to Canadian troops? Or just surplused there?

Anyway, I was sure I had teen its "Type' before....LOL! Only on Yesterdays! :P

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:16 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Neil,

Did the Mk VI originally have the lightening hole in the bolt handle?

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:12 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Yes it did, as did the early No.4 trials rifles and the early BSA production.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:45 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Very nice! Thanks for the pics & info :D

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:29 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i have no data at hand on issue - but id not be suprised if grant from medicine hat might have some [if he drops in here im sure he will add it] he is one of those id turn to for info on canadian connections , as well as gerry [old RSM]- he has museum ties that may help and im thinking i can come up with others if he wants to contact them