[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Headspace & Bolt Heads

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 9:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Headspace & Bolt Heads
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:25 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Now I know how the No.4 heads are numbered, but what about the No.1 boltheads? OKC came here with a 1918 B.S.A. that he was told had headspace problems. I couldn't make out any definite number on it though. How do you solve the headspace problem on the No. 1?

Thanks

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

Post subject: Re: Headspace & Bolt Heads
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:11 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

The No.1 bolt heads do not have numbers that size them. If the bolt body has a matching serial number to the receiver, the best bet is to simply measure the existing bolthead with a micrometer and find a longer one. E-bay used to often have No.1 boltheads and they were described with the length.

Remember - SAAMI specs are more stringent than British Military specs. British specs for a field gauge were 0.074" (SAAMI is 0.067"). I check my rifles with a 0.074" gauge only.

If the bolt body does not hav a matching serial number, you can switch bolt bodies to find a longer one.

Finally, if you can't get it into spec by these methods, the receiver needs a new barrel.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:33 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Well this one was a neat rifle that seemed to be fully restorable. It had the stock cut down but the metal was un-harmed. It had a 'ramp' on the front sight that appeared to be a slip over on the original base, then it was held on by the blade. I think King Cole will post pictures of this later on.
It certainly looked pretty neat.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:50 am 
Mushroom Maniac
Mushroom Maniac

My dad said someone gave him this enfield around 40 yrs ago and he has only shot it a few times .
He said he would love to shoot it again but has the headspace issue.
I told him I would go to Bruce and some of you on here to point us in the right direction to make it happen.
Here's some pics

Last edited by old king cole on Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:34 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Old King Cole - How do you know it has a headspace problem?

Please read this thread in its entirety it's the best explanation of headspace and the Lee Enfield that I've found on the net.

This gives a very practical approach to how problematic (or not) excess headspace is in a Lee Enfield.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:52 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Great Info !

I know I told him I would give it a test fire then check the cases for signs of excessive head space beforeI would relegate it to hanging on the wall.

What do you make of the front sight 'ramp' ? Ever seen anything like this?

Also if you can Brian, try to get pics of the markings on the knoxform & receiver

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:15 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

The front sight ramp is obviously not original but from the pictures looks like it simply fits over the original front sight base. If I'm correct, it's probably held in place by friction and all you need to do is remove the front sight blade and thenpry off the ramp revealing the original front sight base and allowing a restoration.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:50 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

That is what I thought, I just wondered if you had seen one like this before? This rifle had Brit proofs all over it & thought it might have been sold out of service. Maybe a Brit 'ramp' too? Dunno the numbers on it look odd not like US stuff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:11 pm 
Mushroom Maniac
Mushroom Maniac

My just called my dad and he told me that the time he shot it the case had a ring around it like it was about to pull itself apart and it had a thin line/crack like shown in the pics so he's sure that's what it is.
I'll edit above and add a few more pics of the markings

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:29 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

I have no clue on the front site ramp - must be commercial, looks like "pat pending" maybe Parker Hale or someone like that.

Looking at the pictures, the rifle was rebarreled at Enfield in 1940. The butt stock has a weird cartouche that might be a Siamese Tiger - not sure as it stoo indistinct.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:38 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant