Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: photos of my remington M1917
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:28 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

these are photos of my remington M1917 , this is really an excelent rifle , my photos dont do it justice , i suspect it was not used much , its near mint , always felt a little guilty haveing it in my collection and not being a competitive shooter , but not that guilty :>}

its a remington barrel marked R/2-18 , front sight is R marked 060 , rear sight is R marked , bolt is R marked , receiver , stock , barrel , sights , magazine plate , all marked with ordinance bomb , sling is an M1917 "no buckle" marked original , in excelent condition ,

the rifle was canadian lend/lease used , has a "C"arrow and rack number on buttstock [#10162] bolt has same rack number , inspection marks are clear on stock at pistol grip , ahead of the magazine plate , at muzzle below stacking swivel , the "R" is clear on the muzzel end of the stock ,

the wood is beautifull original walnut not sanded and in original rubbed BLO and the rifle never went thru rearsenal , the metal is original "black" blueing , bore is excelent muzzle crown is excelent , a freind who is a great shot put five in the bullseye at 100yds in a bit ove 1" - im not that good a shot but mine were in the black , it was only shot the one time a number of years ago ,

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r188/Asquare10

Post subject: Re: photos of my remington M1917
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:34 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Nice pics

I see the canadians numbered the bolt and butt stock - interesting that they didn't use the serial number on the receiver.

I see a touch of red below the nose cap - did it have a red band once upon a time to denote the non standard ammunition?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:16 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i think those numbers to be rack numbers , and i saw that dot of red as well , im sure it was once a red stripe , but it was long gone before i got the rifle

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:34 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Hi Mike
Nice Rifle The Canadian Army acquired over 100,000 M1917 Enfield Rifles from the United States in 1940 for mobilzation before Lend-Lease. My M1917 is marked the same C< with red paint love mine just finished loading up 30-06 range time not far of.
Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:37 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

that was one of the most dificult decisions ive ever made , but im happy with the shotgun