Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Eddystone P-14 MkI*
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:05 am 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

The serial number stamped on the back of the rear sight leaf does not match the serial numbers on the bolt, receiver and barrel.

Matching serial numbers on receiver and barrel shank. The * stamped on both indicates that this rifle was upgraded to MkI* specifications at some time in its history.

The 7 stamped on the barrel shank would indicate that the barrel was made in 1917.

The bolt was most likely renumbered to match the receiver and barrel when it was modified to incorporate a longer locking lug to meet MkI* specifications.

The base for the front volley sight was present on the forestock when I acquired the rifle. I purchased the front (less the mounting screw) and rear volley sights from Gun Parts who advertised them as P-14 volley sights. As you can see in the photo I used a slotted machine screw to mount the front sight until I can find a proper screw. That's just a minor problem because since I installed these sites I've come to the conclusion that the sights (at least the front sight) is probably for the No. 1 Mk III as it seems short for use with the P-14's base plate.

The letters W.R.V. are stamped above 868 on the stock near the repaired stock disk cutout.

The 1913 bayonet was made by Winchester and dated 11 - 16. The leather covered sheath was made by Remington and is set up to be used with the British bayonet frog for attaching to a belt.

Post subject: Re: Eddystone P-14 MkI*
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:09 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

nice set , you should get the frog - that is the correct vintage scabord , im not bein pushy - i just enjoy the accoutraments and love seeing such nice stuff

BTW , you are correct on the front volley , it needs the longer one ......

cleaning kit is fun too -