Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Early type "notched" bolthead ????
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:59 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

My 1915 enfield has a bolt head which has a large U shaped notch cut into the end of the threaded shaft.
The bolt head of my late production Lithgow does not have this notch.

I recently ran across a discussion of bolt heads and found reference to the ealy notched Bolt head being meant for use with an earlier pattern of firing pin. Perhaps that sort of firing pin had a protubance that would fit into the notch when the bolt was fully in battery.

Anyone know anything about these variants of bolt head designs?

While the bolt head now on my 1915 shows little to no wear its not a good fit to the bolt at the threads, allowing some side play, so I plan to replace it. The Lithgow bolt head doesn't screw all the way in but its threads are a closer fit, without sideplay.
I see nothing about my firing pin which would prevent an un notched bolt head from working, but I'd like to be sure just what the situation is before ordering a replacement.