[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Decided My No.4 Mk.1 Was Lonely

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Decided My No.4 Mk.1 Was Lonely
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:08 pm 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

So I am supposed to be picking up this No. 5 jungle carbine this weekend.

Post subject: Re: Decided My No.4 Mk.1 Was Lonely
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:46 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Looks like an early Fazakerley made rifle by the serial number, but the rear sight is BSA made.

The rifle would have been made around March/April of 1946.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:58 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

looks like a nice one , congrats

what serial number ? i cant see any FAZ markings on the left reciever at all - is it that i cant zoom on the photos ?

:-?

Last edited by A square 10 on Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:07 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

That is a fine looking rifle.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:36 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Been eyein the No.5s everytime I go out to the gunshow. They look like a lotta fun. Congrats on your buy!

██ █ ████ everything ███ █████ is █████ ████ ████ fine ████ ███ █ ██████ love. █████ ███████ ███ your █████ ████ government.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:55 pm 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:01 am 
Major
Major

It might be an early converted one. one of skinners books says they took long rifles and converted them to carbines.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:02 pm 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Somebody in another forum said it is a Fazakerly (sp?) made June 1946.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:00 am 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

I thought the stocks without nosecaps were early production. Mine is a November 1944 Fazakerley and it has no nosecap.

Click for photo: http://militarysignatures.com/signature ... r14422.png

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:52 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:37 pm 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Well I did get a manual about Lee Enfields, and according to it , from the serial number I do have a Fazakerley made sometime in 1946. So it's a real No. 5.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:10 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

First Enfield I shot extensively was a No.5 belonging to a friend who later became a serious collector and skilled gunsmith.

I'd given him all my old reloading supplies when he first expressed an interest in reloading, and he got me interested in the Enfields.
We used to go shooting every weekend, using up hundreds of rounds of reloads and good quality Milsurp ammo.

That young fellow has owned his No.5 since he was twelve, and its as much a part of him as "Old Tick Licker" was to Daniel Boone.

The No.5 is probably the best of the Enfields for use as a sporter in as is condition, and still no slouch as a combat rifle.
It may not lay down huge volumes of fire but for quick reaction shooting with a highly effective cartridge its superior to most modern assault rifles. Also if properly loaded its effective range is equal to most 7.62 battle rifles, while being more comfortable to carry and quicker to bring to the shoulder.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:19 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

yup , by the serial prefix it has to be a FAZ , they used "A" thru "Z" [except for 'I' & 'J' ] in their first major run of production [they did run an initial run of about 1000 with 'FE' prefix ] and "V" falls in 1946

both started in 44 , BSA [all double letter prefixes] made the least at about 81,000 and finished in 46 , FAZ made 170,000 and finished end of 47 ,

my initial comment was related to the fact that most BSA were marked on the left wrist as this was , FAZ used the left receiver as well as the left wrist ,

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:34 pm 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:16 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

glad you said that , i couldnt do so and remain my politicxaly correct self :lol :lol :lol :lol

that is a nice looking rifle :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:32 am 
Corporal
Corporal

Every Faz No5 I have seen has the serial number on the receiver, not he wrist. Also the Faz should have the date next to the No5 MkI EP marking. A EP'ed bolt is a force match, not original. Nose caps are random, some were removed in service, some added. Possible No4 conversion??

Are the cuts on the knoxx form?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:57 pm 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:38 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

early ones were marked on the wrist and no the no4s were not a routine 'conversion' to these , the no5s were made this way , except for the really early trials stuff ,

the cuts he referances were to the reciever , knox form [where the bbl screws to the reciever for lack of better words] and if you compare a no4 to a no5 they are obvious - sorry i dont have photos ,

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:10 am 
Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:34 pm 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

I don't know, paid about 100 bucks more for the No.5 than I did for my No.4.