[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Wire Wrapped Enfield Question

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wire Wrapped Enfield Question
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:11 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

I was wondering, how did they select the Wire wrapped No1 MKIII for grenade launching?
If you have one of these are they OK to shoot?

Thanks

strangms

Post subject: Re: Wire Wrapped Enfield Question
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:55 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

The British Army selected their grenade launching rifles from weapons that were worn, but safe to shoot. The Indian army often used brand new rifles and wire wrapped them for grenade launching.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:56 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Generally yes they are. The ones that I have moved through here actually had nice looking bores on them. Not sure of the selection process........maybe something like "Hey Gupta, Hand me a couple of those No.III's off the rack will ya?"

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:48 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:21 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

:lol :hah: :rotflma: :crzy: :bigrin: :Dbounce: :jmp:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:59 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Thanks Guys for your help. I'm looking for a nice shooter No1MKIII, so I had thoughts
about one of these, but think I will hold out for one that's not wrapped.

strangms

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:28 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

I like them for the history.. I have a Brit. a Aussie and one from India..all nice rifles..

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:15 pm 
OUTLAW

welcome to the forum yardbird.post some pics of those rifles when you can.these guys love pics :D .

pete

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - What a Ride Image

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:22 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

yes , welcome yardbird

huh , makes me recall my first yardbirds album - it was a 1964-5 import with questionable credentials , but i did play hell out of that vinyl

the british invasion - at least they spoke our language mostly .....

edit - these are generally a decent rifle to have in the comprehensive collection ,

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:47 pm 
Major
Major

Did you find some surplus grenades to launch with it! :rotflma:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:49 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Beer cans ;)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:18 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Coors light cans are the perfect size!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:23 pm 
Major
Major

guy had a wire wrap for $200 I saw today

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:32 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

seems launching grenades was a favorite approach in that area of the world

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:02 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

I could think of a few places myself where that seems like a good idea :lol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:26 am 
The Butcher
The Butcher

Some friends and I bought a few of those 10+ years ago. All of indian manufacture, but being clueless (at that time) we only found that out later. Removed the wires because it looked "tacky".
Mine was a lemon. Bolt handle used to flip halfway up with each shot. Cleaned it up and got rid of it. A friend got a nicer one, 1960's manufacture. Very nice bore and it shoots great. He still has it.
So it's pick & choose I'm afraid ...
Brgds, A

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:02 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Hey Pete got around to taking few pictures..I notice they used finer wire on my 1914 Enfield..That old girl has a few wood chips, but all numbers match and of course still has the mag cut off...

Attachments:
MVC-056S.JPG
MVC-056S.JPG [ 46.4 KiB | Viewed 11068 times ]
MVC-057S.JPG
MVC-057S.JPG [ 48.49 KiB | Viewed 11068 times ]

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:08 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

nice looking rifles :jmp:

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:38 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

The magazine cut off would be especially handy for grenade launching. One could keep ball rounds in reserve in case jumped and load the blanks singley.

The rifles used with the Cup discharger were probably not harmed much by firing grenades, but the old rod grenade could ruin a bore pretty quickly and a bent rod could split the barrel.

The Indian .303 SMLE GL rifles built around the time the 2A rifle was in use were seldom used. They had not developed a GL blank suitable for the 7.62 2A and NATO type grenades didn't fit the discharder, but they had millions of rounds of the old .303 blanks and the old British grenades, so using the .303 rifles for the purpose was most cost effective. As it was most ended up in storage and were never used. Also they didn't have to use EY rifles so they are usually good shooters.