[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Maybe Doing Research isn't Always Good

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:53 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Hello everyone. I've been a member for a while, but have never posted before, so I'm the new girl on the block. I'm pretty much a beginner to collecting older weapons, but they have grabbed me good.

Today I brought home another one, a MAS 49-56. I don't know a whole lot about the gun, but that's half the fun to me, doing the research on them.

But I stumbled on something that has me not wanting to shoot the gun now, so I wanted to see what your experience was.

I found a site that says these guns are prone to doing bursts if you don't use the French surplus ammo. How possible is it that this is going to happen? My odds of only finding French surplus are slim at best, and I don't have access to land, so I shoot at indoor ranges. I am terrified of this thing bursting on the firing range and me ending up in a prison cell with some nut job.

How's that for a first "noob" post?! LOL!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:34 pm 
Major
Major

Hello Wolf308,
I don't know about the rifle doing this, but I think it has a free floating firing pin which might cause this with sensitive primers. CCI makes a No. 34 primer which is made for semi and automatics. It is harder and should not slam fire. Stay away from Winchester primers as these are sensitive and have been know to cause slam fires.
Grafs and Sons sells boxer primable cases for the 7.5 French. There may be others, but this is where I got my 8x56R cases. You can also find the CCI #34 primers at some gun shows. If you don't reload, I cannot tell you about the commercial offerings.
The best thing to do is clean the bolt and make sure there is no grease in the firing pin hole. only a trace of light oil on the firing pin.
Before trying new ammo try the following using French military ammo then run the same test with new ammo and compare the physical results:

To test French miltary ammo and new ammo point the gun down range, put the safety on and place only one round of ammo in the magazine and let the bolt release (allow to return to battery) and fly home. If the gun does not slam fire carefully extract the round and look at the primer for indentations. A very tiny one can be normal, but more than that can cause the round to go off. Other semis will do this including FN49s and SKS.
If you eventually load more than one round in the magazine and it goes auto say Hi "Bubba" :lol :lol. BTW I did have this happen with an 8mm FN49-w/Winchester primers and two rounds in the mag. Totally unnerving for a few minutes.

Hope this helps

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:59 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

contact this fellow, he is known for SKS modified firing pins (They have the same issue with commercial or soft primers) He has done 49/56 mods as well

http://www.murraysguns.com/sksown.htm

Oh & Welcome to the forum!

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:38 am 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Yes, :welcome: !! Research can truly be frustrating. It seems like every answered question begets five more.

We have a resident French rifle guy, but he's under the weather right now. I'll ask him next time he writes. SW

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:47 am 
The Knife
The Knife

And another :welcome: yo you. I am not much of an auto person as I prefer bolt guns and Mausers in particular.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:41 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:41 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Has anyone tried the titanium firing pin in the MAS yet?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:44 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

I haven't. I sold mine. Had a 308 version & only fired surplus so it wasn't a problem.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:13 am 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Well, here's the update. After thinking about it and weighing the pros and cons, I've decided to bid the MAS good day. The owner of the shop told me he'd take it back if I couldn't figure out a fix, and truth be told, I'm never going to trust this rifle enough to shoot it. I don't want a gun around I'm not going to shoot. And since I can't reload for it and my only range option is the local police range, I'm not going to chance my cruddy luck with it. So there's an SMLE and possibly a Mosin with my name on it, and they'll come home with me Tuesday. Back to the wrack with the MAS. Thanks, guys.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:43 am 
Major
Major

Wolf,
I went on the net and used the search phrase MAS 49 slam fire and came up with several pages. The Wikepedia article is interesting. Look under "variants" section.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:32 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

No slam fores with an SMLE that's for sure!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:35 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

my take too ET , she will be happy with that one , i like mine

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:11 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Welcome to the forum!

██ █ ████ everything ███ █████ is █████ ████ ████ fine ████ ███ █ ██████ love. █████ ███████ ███ your █████ ████ government.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:54 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

What's up Gatsby? Glad to see you still checking in!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:32 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Update:

Gun's back in the wrack. I'll have photos later of the two I got in exchange for it. :) Thanks all!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:10 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

a 2fer! cool. 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:25 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

great trade and you will love thew enfields - but then im prejudiced ....

hey gatsby - glad to see you here ,

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:12 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

A square 10: Oh yeah, I know. This is my second Enfield in less than two months. The Swiss rifles didn't even grab me this hard! LOL!

OK, so the MAS is back up on the wrack at the shop waiting for a new home, and here's the two I got in a trade:

Lee Enfield SMLE, dated 1926:

And a Soviet marked Mosin Nagant 91/30, dated 1943:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:01 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

very nice , is it a mkIII or a mkIII* ? they reverted between the wars , it looks very nice indeed , now you need a nice P1907 bayonet , to keep the boys away :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:20 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl