[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - MAS 36 Purchase

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MAS 36 Purchase
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:56 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

I had seen the MAS 36 in books and online, but had never seen one in person. So a few weeks ago I was visiting a local gun store and saw one sitting in the back of the rack completely ignored by the general public.

After examining it I became completely infatuated and determined that she would be mine. I laid some money down on the spot. I paid her off today and will be bringing her home 10 days from now.

The metal is parkerized, except for the mag floor plate, which is the black painted metal. All the numbers match. Stock is in good condition - but I think the wood is not all matching, as the finish on the forestock is a little different, though close. Serial starts with a cursive N so I guess (based only on what I've read) she was built sometime around 48 or so.

Are their dates on these rifles under the wood or anything? Also anything additional anyone can tell me I'd really appreciate.

Here are some pics of her:

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:01 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Stick around 1886 Lebel can fill you in with all kinds of info. I believe he is currently in "the sandbox" but does get access to the internet over there.

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:02 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Resident of the Northern Republic of Free California

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:37 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

very nice looking rifle , congrats

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:48 am 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Post subject: Re: MAS 36 Purchase
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:03 pm 
Major
Major

What kills me about these rifles is what people are paying for them. I am not sure what you got yours for for but I bought one for $80 and one more recent for $90, the one for $90 was a bringback. I see people paying $250 for them. A guy I just bought a Rasheed from said he sold a mint all matching one for under a hundred not long ago , he thought it was crazy that people were paying more than a hundred fro them. Even the last imported bunch that had come in with the grenade lancher on them was only going for around $100 -$150. Whats the deal anyway?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:18 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i have no idea what should be paid --but its a fine loooking rifle and if i walked in with no knowledge at all id think it worth more that $100 , just me and looking at the quality of the finished peice ,

i think id find it a nice addition to my collection if i was even remotely into other things than commonwealth and US

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:35 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

The deal on them is weather not they are still in the original condition such as the black painted finish compared to the parked finish that the recent imports are.

The series I think up to L are WW2 era rifles and if they are correct with the different early front site and front sling mount then they are expensive.

As to the recent imports they are redone rifles most if you take them apart you will find newer dated barrels to the receivers. I see on line auctions all the time "mint" Mas 36's but they are all refurbed rifles being sold as like new.

Here is a refurb I just bought that has matching numbers but my bet is the barrel is a newer barrel. The price on it is not at all over the top

Here is a series of older original Mas36's. Note that some of them are actually made of a dark walnut type wood not the lighter beach wood.

The rifles with the launchers on them are Mas 36/51's and I would say almost all the ones I have seen are refurbed also. Many have mismatched part numbers and are also newly parked.

Yes there still are mint ones out there but check the barrel for a counter bore barrel, mismatched numbers and a newish gray park, then you will know that it is a "mint" refinished rifle.

I have 2 original Mas 36/51's and they are a different park then the new ones and they show use. Heck I have 2 mas 36's made in 1940 and one is serial number282 and the other is serial number nothing/zip. One I paid only 150 for and the other no serial number I paid alot more but it is a rare bird and worth the money paid.

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:41 pm 
Major
Major

they are neat rifles. They just seem to be getting out of control on some of the price I see.The Jap rifles seem to be in the same boat now.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:50 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

this explains a lot , refurbs are less desireable for sure , yours are great looking rifles , i see the finiosh diferance , and the wood is super

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:47 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

██ █ ████ everything ███ █████ is █████ ████ ████ fine ████ ███ █ ██████ love. █████ ███████ ███ your █████ ████ government.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:02 am 
Colonel
Colonel

Ah now Gatsby you should have a bunch of them by now! Don't tell me you still have the one? :-? :-?

Get hunting my boy :rotflma: :rotflma:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:13 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

*Sigh* yes, just the one lonely post-war MAS-36...

Once I get the AK, I'm done for awhile... unless a nice MAS-36 falls into my lap :twisted:

██ █ ████ everything ███ █████ is █████ ████ ████ fine ████ ███ █ ██████ love. █████ ███████ ███ your █████ ████ government.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:29 am 
Colonel
Colonel

Boy you have let me down :cry: I thought by now you would have at least 10 or more! :) :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:09 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

One of these days I'll break down and start doing the online auction sites...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:10 pm 
Major
Major

Well I live in New England. I found my first MAS at a local gun shop a few years back. I got the second one within the last year at a local antique shop. I had seen another one up in Vermont, but the lady was nuts, Kept trying to say it was from someother country then france and that it was a contract rifle. So her price was like $200.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:10 am 
Major
Major

Well I guess this is a deal , after seeing what guys are paing for them now.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:15 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

The seller does not say if it is an all matching rifle! The trigger guard, mag plate bottom should also match along with the last 2 numbers on the bayonet and also some wood parts. It already looks on the high side now. If it is matching then 200-225 might be good.