[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - New French semi

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New French semi
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:54 am 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Recently got this French semi automatic.

I know, I know--it's a Winchester 1907. But the French Air Force did buy a bunch during WWI. Think they used 'em for target practice.

Metal and wood in excellent shape

Post subject: Re: New French semi
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:38 am 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

A very nice rifle! I carried one of these in 351 cal for several years when I was a state trooper in Nebr. The only down side was the 351 cartridge isn't too powerful and won't always punch through a car door. SW

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:03 am 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

.351 Winchester ammo is hard to find. It is available, but expensive.

Actually bought this rifle because it was a mainstay of State, Local and Federal law enforcement for many years. Most departments in the 30's had as many or more Winchester 1907's and Remington 8's than they did Thompsons.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:24 pm 

Nebr State Patrol had them & also the Nebr state prison in Lincoln.
ammo started getting scarce so they sold them off in 80 or so. I had a chance to buy mine for 275 but thought it was too much at the time.

That & ammo was scarce. I did buy my S&W model 28 for 125 when the dept changed to the model 66 and still have it. SW

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:10 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

beautiful rifle :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:25 am 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:51 am 

It was okay up to around 50-75 yards. The bullet trajectory was similar to a 45-70 past that. I never did bench it, but shot a few prairie dogs at a boring traffic check one day.

I always wanted to mess around with a 401 SL but not enough to peel out the $ they bring. SW

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:08 am 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

As much as .351 ammo costs, I shudder to think what .401 ammo would go for, if you could even find any. The 1910 SL's seemed to be significantly rarer than the 07's too.

I notice the standard sights leave a bit to be desired. I've seen tang mounted peep sights on the 07's. Wonder if they would be significantly better at the longer ranges.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:46 am 

Hold onto your hat when you see what some of the obscure Lyman tang sights bring!!! :-o It's not that folks need them - there's a regular sight collecting community that snap them up. SW

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:16 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Nice looking semi!!!!

Saw some ammo on GB 102 rounds currently at $155
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =116380442

Ditto on the tang sights
I know I paid a pretty penny for the Lyman tang site for my Rem model 8.
Way pricier than.......... say for a Savage 1899 :bigrin:

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:52 am 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Thanks, guys.

I found some Western .351 ammo , NIB at a gun store on the internet.--$75 a box of 50.

About the going rate for .351.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:47 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Can thos be reloaded using available dies? Maybe 357 dies?

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:59 am 

The dies aren't that bad - you see them sometimes @ gun shows in the 30 dollar range around here. Brass is what's expensive. SW