[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - MAS Mle. 1936 Info.....

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MAS Mle. 1936 Info.....
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:07 am 
Corporal
Corporal

Hoot mon!
I have a complete action and was looking at purchasing a stock and forend for it. My concern is, do I need stamped or milled barrel bands? The barrel is marked 'MAS 1945' and the serial number is L 95000-something. Aside from this barrelled action, I have never actually seen a Model 1936, complete or otherwise. Thanks, everybody!

USS Boxer
NAS Whidbey Island

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:46 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Roundsworth

An L series and more so a 45 dated barrel would have the stamped bands. Here are some photos of one of my L series Mas 36. Another note is if you have just the barreled receiver check your barrel length. Many were cut down to make a sporter type rifle here in the states.

Resident of the Northern Republic of Free California

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:53 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Here is one of my early war rifles. Another note on the barrel if it's been cut down the end of it will be very close to the front site not like these photos. Stock parts can be hard to find but nice ones do show up from time to time. And yes that is the serial number (282) I also have 2 with no serial numbers. Check in the back French posts and you will find many of my rifles.

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:28 am 
Corporal
Corporal

Well, here is what I have....the barrel has been cut and crowned 1/2" forward of the front sight. Having never seen another one of these rifles, I was not sure if the portion removed was a flash supressor or maybe a grenade launching attachment. The bolt is an 'H' series and the milled magazine floorplate is a 'K' series. I guess I have a parts gun, eh! The bore and chamber are in good shape. I would like to be able to shoot it, but the shortened barrel really messes up the installation of a correct forend and handguard.

USS Boxer
NAS Whidbey Island

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:49 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:47 pm 
Corporal
Corporal

The fellow that I got the rifle from actually found the stock and forend. Yes, it is a 'Santa Fe' rifle. There is a lug silver soldered to the barrel for the abbreviated forend and a large channel was milled in the stock for the ineffective safety device. I put it together and ran a box of Prvi Partizan 139 grain FMJ cartridges through it. The old rifle shot well, despite a rather tired looking bore. The 1936 is a very unique design. Aside from the Santa Fe rifles, have you ever seen any other attempts at sporterizing these rifles? By the way, those are some FINE rifles in your photos!

USS Boxer
NAS Whidbey Island

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:52 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

My FIL had a MAS sporter - possibly from Century Arms. I don't think it was a Santa Fe & he said he didn't do it. SW

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:28 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Thanks for the comment. I have several from pre WW2 and just a little past. They are fine rifles once you get used to the lack of a safety but a gun is always a loaded gun. It looks clunky but none of mine are. They function just fine.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:18 pm 
Corporal
Corporal

Last Friday, I shot a few rounds off my sandbag. At 50 yards, my first 3 shots measured 1-7/8" center to center. The group was about one inch above the point of aim. This was with PP 139 grain FMJ ammo. The front sight dovetail was milled way off to the right. The rear sight aperture was drilled to compensate for this. I have the 2 sets of numbers written down that I found under the rear sight. At least the sights were kept together when the rifle was sporterized.

USS Boxer
NAS Whidbey Island