[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Converting Carcano clips to 8mm

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:30 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

There is presently nothing I can find on the internet about this so here we go!

I used a steel clip since the brass ones are much less common - and more expensive!

You will need a dremel with cut off wheel and a pair of pliers. I suppose you could try a hacksaw for the necessary cuts, but I think it will be a bit much.

The first pic shows an unaltered steel clip with 5 rounds of cast bullet reloads. A brass clip with vintage ammo is shown for comparison. zzClips 001.jpg
zzClips 001.jpg [ 27.75 KiB | Viewed 47790 times ]

An 8mm round won't fit into the clip and sliide into place, so I used a Dremel tool with cutoff wheel to relieve the web on the back of the clip. zzClips 002.jpg
zzClips 002.jpg [ 72.78 KiB | Viewed 47790 times ]

I also used pliers to gently pry the lips apart just a LITTLE to make it easier to slide a round in. zzClips 003.jpg
zzClips 003.jpg [ 71.67 KiB | Viewed 47790 times ]

The clip now holds well one round and it fed just fine on multiple tries. If you wish, you can stop now and have a one shot clip which will preserve your extractor from improper single loading. zzClips 004.jpg
zzClips 004.jpg [ 24.84 KiB | Viewed 47790 times ]
zzClips 005.jpg
zzClips 005.jpg [ 111.13 KiB | Viewed 47790 times ]

But since I had already altered the clip, it was time to see if 5 rounds would work. I used the Dremel again to completely cut the top web. That really didn't help that much. I now had a 3 shot clip, so I cut the bottom web about half way.

**NOTE** leave the center web alone! zzClips 009.jpg
zzClips 009.jpg [ 21.71 KiB | Viewed 47790 times ]

I also used the screwdriver tip to GENTLY pry the sides of the clip apart at the web. Don't get carried away with this. zzClips 008.jpg
zzClips 008.jpg [ 25.82 KiB | Viewed 47790 times ]

The rounds still wouldn't slide up & down in the clip like I wanted, so I widened the clip opening with very slight thumb pressure. This helped a little, but now I only had a 3 round clip. Rounds 4 & 5 had to be pushed up from the bottom with the screwdriver blade. Not what I had hoped for.

A 3 round clip is an improvement, though and if you start with one in the chamber, you have a 4 shooter. Not wanting to mess up a usable clip, I really didn't want to do anymore cutting & prying... but it occurred to me I had nothing to lose putting the clip in the other way.

It worked! zzClips 010.jpg
zzClips 010.jpg [ 20.92 KiB | Viewed 47790 times ]

Here you see the clip after the final adjustments. One web is cut clear through - the bottom web is cut about halfway. The center web has been left alone. I pried the clip apart just a LITTLE and used pliers to open the lips slightly as shown above. It feeds 5 consistently.

Finished product is shown by the brass clip of 6.5 for comparison. zzClips 011.jpg
zzClips 011.jpg [ 24.04 KiB | Viewed 47790 times ]

I loaded 5 rounds into the end with the web cut about halfway and stuffed the clip into the magazine with the fully cut end going in first.

Please keep in mind this is a cut & try operation. The clips were meant to be expendable. Once used, another was crammed in and the shooter continued to blast away. Which is a long-winded way of saying they are not very durable and can be ruined by getting too vigorous in your adjustments.

So go slowly! Cut and try. When something works like you want - go on to the next step. Work is just crazy right now, but I mean to try another clip with some differences.

If any of you brave souls have different results or better ideas, please post same with pics.

Thus endeth Carcano clip alteration 101! :Thnku: :Thnku: :Thnku: :git: :velo:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:39 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Cool! Thanks Hogger.

PLEASE NOTE CLYDE.......DO NOT CUT UP BRASS CLIPS :lol

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:15 pm 
Mushroom Maniac
Mushroom Maniac

Thanks for the steps.
He has a total of 2 clips.... Both brass :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:13 am 
The Knife
The Knife

If the center web is raised like it shows, why can't you put a 7/16" piece of steel inside the clip and hit it with a hammer to widen the middle? You could also cut the end webs down to to depression and try expanding it that way.

And it that doesn't work "get a bigger Hammer". :crzy:

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:52 am 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Yeah got two brass ones all the way from Italy lol guess try them there pretty much useless to me otherwise :roll: king Cole an me got the sight blade on.now just need shoulder strap bayonet and cleaning rod.and she'll be complete. And of course not to screw up my two chance clips lol :crzy: Thanks for posting this will definitely post pics of finished product (s)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:55 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

I would try Rad's suggestion on the brass clips

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:47 pm 

Yes, the center web is raised... guess what? That's what holds the clip in the rifle. It's caught by the clip latch. If you want to stop shooting & remove the clip, there's a release latch in the trigger guard. Push that & SPROINGggg! Out it pops.

So if you carefully wield your BFH, you could get away with the widening idea. If you revert to your blacksmithing apprentice days and smack it a lick, the clip might not stay in the rifle.

Also measure carefully - there is only so much clearance. If the clip is too wide, you will have to get pretty mean with it to get it in & out.

If the idea is viable, you then make a dedicated wedge for altering clips and rake in a bundle selling them on fleabay & the auctions! SW

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:05 am 
The Knife
The Knife

You only have to move it .025 to .030. The head of the 6.5 is .449 and the head of the 8mm is .473.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:07 am 

I messed around a little more with this. I cut the top and bottom webs only halfway through with the Dremel cutoff wheel. zzConversion 001.jpg
zzConversion 001.jpg [ 98.1 KiB | Viewed 47742 times ]

Then I bent outward on the feed lips with pliers as shown in the post above. I also widened the clip from the front with thumb pressure. Slight adjustments at a time until things barely worked.

It's like a haircut - you can keep taking a little off, but it's not possible to correct things past a certain point. Go slowly - cut & try.

I kept at it until the clip consistently fed 5 rounds. It was still a little tight, though. zzConversion 002.jpg
zzConversion 002.jpg [ 96.73 KiB | Viewed 47742 times ]

The 2 clips are shown together for comparison.

The original one feeds better with one web cut clear through. I think it would be a good idea to start out with both webs only cut halfway, though as that does work and could "wear in". If satisfactory results don't follow that way, then it's a simple matter to cut one web clear through.

One more time & I'll shut up: go slowly - cut & try. SW

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:36 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

They are attepmting this today. I suggested Rad's approach as they only have brass clips. Cutting the web may leave too much play. I think a 7/16ths rod or bolt & a hammer may do the trick with a brass clip

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:21 pm 

Now if it was me & a BFH.... SMACK There! One more good lick & it's a done deal... or not! :crzy: :rotflma: I are not such a good black smith. SW

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:59 am 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:04 am 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

please don't shut up. you have taped into a problem that has been out there for many years. and took it to the next level with success and it is a saved STICKY for me!.thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:42 pm 

Toot, good to see you posting again! Look around the site for a few changes like The Funnies - I try to keep that at a G-rated level since some people have told me they show those pics to grandkids. SW

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:05 am 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

thank you. it is good to be back. not been active be cause of health problems. called old age. it is great to hear from you. you'll be hearing from me more often. toot.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:01 pm 

Yep - advancing age is not for weenies! Been there - doing that! SW

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:56 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

welcome back - i got that affliction too it seems but i try to check in every day , jump right in we need more input here

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:19 am 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:22 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

yes, getting old is not for sissies!.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:45 am 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

I am still alive & well. been off for quite a long time, health problems. so what is new, when you are 78+++. this a great site and the people are just the best. toot.