[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Sporterized Carcano 6.5

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:07 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

It's always difficult to tell much about an unseen gun. How 'bout at least a link to the auction? SW

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:28 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

It looks just like a M91 Ts carbine execpt for a fixed sight. I sorry I don't know how to make links...? or post pics.
I just found another on Norteast shooter forum,, the seller said its a m38, but its looks like a M91/38 TS carbine... that makes me feel better I hope.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:11 pm 

How to cut & paste a link:

At the top of your screen is the "address bar". In this case, it sez, http://www.yesterdaysweapons.com/... etc & so forth.
Go back to the auction - in the address bar will be the same thing but it will say gunborker and end in the auction number.

Right click on that & a pop up menu will show options, one of which is "cut". Left click on that & everything in the address bar will disappear.

Then come back here and reply to this thread. Right click again, and among the options is "paste". Left click that and you will leave it here. I will be happy to comment on what the auction contains.

If you are still having trouble, simply copy down the number of the auction. I'll just put that in the gunborker search bar, and we will be on the same page.

Easy as pie! :bigrin: SW

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:47 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

this is what i bought, http://www.gunbroker.com 278489257

Last edited by shootster on Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:34 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:05 pm 

Aha! Now we're on the same page! You have a very late war M38TS in 6.5 caliber. Made by FNA-B and it barely escaped being converted to 8mm. A lot of the late one were. Takes the same bayonet as an M41 or M91 long rifle. SW

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:44 am 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

I did change the Link, I thought it left too much info, but I guess just look up the number you view the same thing...
If the Carcano is supposed to be so weak, then how in the world can it take the pressure's of a 8x57 round. I cauld have gotten one but does it use some obsolete enbloc...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:30 am 

Italians were very picky about the steel used in their rifles. We see this in the steel supplier code found near the date. K for Krupp - PO for Czech steel from Poldi - V for Vickers... etc & so forth. ( it's not seen on late war rifles like yours)

These are very much stronger than people think. There was a lot of post-war bad press that has lingered - mostly because people haven't taken the time to look into the matter.

While experimenting with IMR 3031 powder, I had a pressure spike. The primer vanished, the headstamp was obliterated and I had to pound the bolt open with a block of wood. A less strong action would have come apart.

Now I stick with WW760 or H414 with magnun rifle primers when loading the .268 Hornady 160 grainer. SW

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:48 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

I now have the Carcano 38 TS and it is vertually unused, and I see why,,,,,??? It is so hard to chamber a round in it, esspesially a reload, I think the chamber is slightly undersized, the prvi. loaded stuff loads real tight, and most of my reloads are hard to load and new brass is only slightly better but is does shoot consisently the same.
On a different note my loads using the resized .277 down to .268 are shooting so well it was worth the effort and price. Lee Precision custom made me the resizing die for only $37 smacckers..

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:35 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

I must saymy M38 TS works a lot better now that I used valve lapping compound on the bolt Lugs, I worked the bolt about 200 times with the compound on the lugs and thoughally washed out the reciever and it closes on any ammo now, its a little tight, but it closes now without having to beat the bolt closed........ and shoots high, I just need a taller sight..... :grin:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:43 am 

These were put together by speculators in the early 50s. They were out to make a fast profit and many were assembled in a real slap-dash manner.

I use the Lee 205 grain .329 boolet sized down to .323 and 20.0/AA5744. Shoots pretty close to the sights. SW

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:48 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:22 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

I put the front sight in the bottom of the rear sight and aimed about 8" low and no used .264 bullet, I do have a resizing die .277 to .268 and that works great, I did not try those this time.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:04 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Update! I welded up a sight twice as high and it shot right on @ 35 yards

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:29 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

well, I have been playing around with 6.5 carcano's using 34grns. of IMR 4198 and a 90grn. bullet shooting very straight with a vel. of 2750fps.. My bullets are resized .270 down to .268 with mag. primers. and it is working very good so far.. no signs of hight pressure and I like the way it shoots so far. next I need to bench rest for accuracy.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:42 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Well, been playing around with IMR 3031 using resized .270 downed to .268 90grn. hollow points with a 20" barrel with 37grns of 3031 I have cronigraphed them around 2600-2700 fps. going up more for my next tries....[b]use only mag. primers[b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:52 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

I just tried the last load posted and this time I was looking for accuracy, and right now, I am happy until I due further tests. just tried 7.1grns of 3031 IMR just hit over 2800 consistently using my m38, in my m38TS just about 100fps. slower. Use only Mag primers.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:48 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

tried using 37.7grns. of IMR 3031 with Mag. primers, 90grn. bullet, vel. was between 2850, and 2880. primers look rounded still ejected easy. may stop at 38grns. I like where I am at. this is with a 20" barrel Carcano using resized .277 to .268 and mag. primers

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:46 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

https://flic.kr/p/2eNBMt2

Last edited by shootster on Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:02 pm 

The pic shown is a "Suprema"= an M91 long rifle made 'sportier' by some importer to appeal to those not wanting a long rifle. The big disadvantage with these is the tight portion of the gain twist rifling has been amputated, meaning accuracy might not be what you prefer. SW

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:28 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

That's exactly what happened,and that's why I have done all the work of resizing 2.70 bullets Down to 2.68 diameter what work best are 90 grn hollow points