[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Rifles from Italian East Africa

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:38 am 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

During the colonial years, Italy didn't have a lot of money with which to equip troops there. But after WW1, they did have a lot of equipment from Austria which had been given as partial war reparations.

Most of this equipment was sent to East Africa. Thousands of M.95 long rifles were cut down to carbine length. I've closely compared my Budapest to M.95/34s and they appear identical. Did Italy also receive the templates to do that or the machinery? I can't say for certain, but it sure looks that way. Notice how the Budapest short M.95 wears n Italian Vetterli bayonet. Austria sent thousands of rifles as reparations but few bayonets. Italian armorers altered Vetterli bayonets to fit the Steyrs and Budapests.

Also sent to East Africa were thousands of old Vetterlis. Shown is an 1870/87 in 10.4x47r caliber. The 6.5 Vetts were also sent, but I have yet to acquire one.

My spies tell me hundreds of Gew88 rifles were given the AOI brand, and wouldn't I like to find one of those! Hundreds of Austrian Schwarzlose MGs were sent. My friend with whom I wrote the Carcano book has one. He sez if I ever visit, he will have it padlocked in a safe. Good plan! ;)

Some of the M.95 long rifles were issued to Italian units, and those will have a tiny 'CE' stamped somewhere on the metal. This mark is very easy to overlook and something for the die hard collector to have in mind.

Shown in addition to the AOI rifles is a 1914 Terni M91 long rifle with the RE brand for Regio Esercito = Royal Army. The rifles were branded to prevent theft, but thieves are always pretty crafty. The M.95 long rifle had something covering the AOI brand... possibly a piece of leather made to look like a sling attachment point. I cleaned up the brand with acetone to make it more apparent, and whatever the native used sure stunk! :-o Camel hoof glue? I'm sure I don't want to know. :oops:

If any of you folks find such an item as described here, please keep me in mind if it's not in your collecting genre. SW

zAfrica 003 (1024x390).jpg
zAfrica 003 (1024x390).jpg [ 330.04 KiB | Viewed 5015 times ]

Greater detail of the long rifle. These were taken apart and assembled using the best parts from big piles.
zAfrica 004 (1024x455).jpg
zAfrica 004 (1024x455).jpg [ 289.66 KiB | Viewed 5015 times ]

The AOI mark is obscure on this one. Much wear is a positive indicator it was actually used by native levies.
zAfrica 007 (815x1024).jpg
zAfrica 007 (815x1024).jpg [ 546.02 KiB | Viewed 5015 times ]

The unit marking is still present = Austrian 49th infantry regiment.
zAfrica 010 (1024x540).jpg
zAfrica 010 (1024x540).jpg [ 303.5 KiB | Viewed 5014 times ]

Here we see why so many AOI rifles are beat all to heck. After the Brits invaded from Kenya, captured arms were just thrown into piles as shown. And wouldn't I like to root through that pile for a day or two!!! :-o
zAOI3.jpg
zAOI3.jpg [ 43.44 KiB | Viewed 5015 times ]

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 8:52 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

I am not a Italian collector but I do have a love of the history you see in those piles and if given a chance to root through it I would be right there with you and loving every min. of that dig.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:17 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i dont collect them either but also enjoy the exposure to the history

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:50 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

The white "C" marking on the M95 is about the same as on my 88/90. Someone a long time ago thought Serbian war reparations. What are your thoughts?

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:18 pm 

I still think it had to do with being captured by Brits. SW

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:26 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

The white stenciled 8mm stuff yeah but the "C" seems like a thick epoxy-like. Much different than the stenciled markings. And from the limited sample (yours and mine) they are only on the Austrian rifles.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:47 pm 

Keep me in mind if you ever find it taking up too much room in the safe! ;) SW

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:09 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

another nice looking rifle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:48 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:02 am 

I strongly suspect neither one will be changing ownership any time soon. ;) This one shoots exceptionally well with the dedicated Lee boolet over 20.0 grains of AA 5744.

At least some camel humper kept the bore clean. SW

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:22 am 

I finally scored a 6.5 Vett with AOI brand - for a measley 140 busks. The die hards were napping on this one! :bigrin: SW

Vetterli 001 (1024x228).jpg
Vetterli 001 (1024x228).jpg [ 180.8 KiB | Viewed 4961 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:22 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

great grab , she is a beauty