[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Status report. and Carcano

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:19 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

No, I didn't drop off the face of the earth. I'm alive and doing...well. For those who didn't notice I haven't been posting recently, and for those who don't care... don't say anything. I have a very fragile ego :D

I picked up a Carcano a while back and finally got some ammo and got to shoot it. Tied it to a log and fired off one round. No sign of problems so I took it to the range today and burned off the remaining 19 rounds. Now I'm out until I find some more or get the dies and start reloading for it.

The Norma ammo seemed to kick a little harder than I anticipated. Maybe when I reload I'll tone it down a bit.

When I first tried to fire it off the log it only dimpled the primer without firing it. I replaced the spring with one from a sporterized Vetterli (still in rim fire) and now it fires every time. But I need two strong men and a small boy to help me pull the trigger! Does the main cocking spring also control the trigger pull? I'll have to play around to get the right tension spring. I read on the Swiss Rifles forum a reference to using Large Pistol Primers to solve the problem of a too light spring sometimes failing to fire the primer.

I think the sights were set for somewhere in the next county! At first I couldn't see where my shots were going at all but finally found them way high and quite a bit right. Once I started aiming at the bottom of the paper between the two bottom targets I was able to put all (well almost all) the remaining shots on the target above and to the right, with most of them in the white. That's like 15" high and 6" right. Do you suppose there is a way to mount a (removeable) pair of sights without disturbing the original ones? Something like a scope but I'm thinking either iron sights or a peep sight and bead.

I'm also . . . starting . . . to have some progress with the centerfire converted Vetterli I got from a member here ( :D thanks SW :D ). I finally found some 348 ammo and some 8mm Lebel. A fellow member at the club was accomodating enough to shoot the 348 so I could have the brass. Now I discover I don't have the right dies to convert that brass to .41, or even to pop the spent primers out!! And the Lebel? I tried fire-forming but used much too little powder. In about a third of the cases not even enough to blow out the inert filler, although it did fire all the primers. Now I have 20 Lebel cases that didn't fireform, AND I don't have the proper dies to even deprime those!

However, on the plus side, I've actually started to reload (you wouldn't believe how long I dithered over that). Found a couple of load/bullet combinations that work for my 32-40 and also for my 7mm Chilean Mauser. Still have to fiddle a bit to get a combination that is truly satisfactory, but that's half the fun of handloading!

Once I'm happy with a smokeless load for the .32-40 I'll try a black powder loading :D

I also read that the .30-30 can be converted to .32-40 and tried running one through the .32-40 dies with lots of lube and it worked, although the case is maybe 1/4" short. Might be a problem seating the bullet in the short neck. Probably I shouldn't use these in the tube magazine, just single shot them.

I also learned you can break a de-capping rod trying to remove a Berdan primer from old .303 brit cases. I heard that somewhere... Yeah, yeah, that's how I learned that.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:55 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Good to see you back!! :bigrin: The hard trigger pull might have a lot to do with trigger/sear interface geometry. A little judicious stoning = go slowly/cut & try might improve things. The spring does factor in. A lighter spring will give a lighter trigger pull. The trade off here is that primer ignition could suffer as mentioned.

The cure for the high point of impact is a higher front sight or milder ammo. The sight can be built up in various ways. Soft solder or epoxy are two means to the end.

Too bad you have the restrictions - I'd donate some brass & bullets. But the green hats would come knocking at your door, and I'd get to meet men in black. If you ever discover a legal means, the offer stands. SW

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:23 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:50 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

I'm in a better mood today! :D Especially since I'm on the way to solving the Carcano trigger pull problem.

I managed to buy a new compression spring the right diameter rated at 26 lbs (I don't know what that means: 26 pounds to compress it ... an inch? ... completely? Whatever it means officially, it seems about the same as the strong Vetterli spring. I measured the light Carcano spring uncompressed, then compressed installed in place but not cocked, then measured it again cocked. Then I cut a section of the new (stronger) spring about 5mm shorter and tried it. The pull definitely felt lighter, and there was the beginnings of an initial take-up before the final pull. Without any primed cartridges I couldn't check whether it fired the primer, but it sounded like a crisp 'click' so I'm optimistic.

I made up 6 .30-30's into .32-40's tonight. Enough so I have a full box of 100 .32-40's. I'm guessing it would have been smart to have annealed them first. It still worked without the annealing, but I suspect it might have been much easier if I had done that first.

Well I'm off now to the Titan Reloading site to see if they have Carcano dies.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:17 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

I know the 30-30, 25-35 & the 22 Savage High Power were all offspring of the 38-55 case but I didn't think 32-40 was one. Is the brass hard to find up there? It's readily available here. As to the fireforming for your Vette, I use pistol powder (about 10-13 gr depending on the case to be formed), then fill with cream of wheat and top with a beeswax plug. I've turned .348 into 11,15 Werndl that way. Just be sure to anneal the brass very well first

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:14 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

glad your back , i thought maybe you were deer hunting - its been a local activity for many recently

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:24 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant