[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Vetterli bolt removal - a photo tutorial

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:50 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

This is a common question so it's time for a tutorial - with pics.

To begin, withdraw the bolt about halfway. Notive the ring around the receiver? That was the cartridge cutoff for the 10.4 Vetts. Doesn't work like that for 6,5 Vetts, but it does help keep the bolt in the rifle. The item that looks like a wedge is what actually keeps the bolt in place - the cartridge cutoff ( CCO ) keeps the wedge in place.
Tutorial 003 (1024x494).jpg
Tutorial 003 (1024x494).jpg [ 216.98 KiB | Viewed 10349 times ]

Here's another view of the bolt. The knob on the CCO blocks the sights when aligned to remove the wedge.
Tutorial 004 (843x1024).jpg
Tutorial 004 (843x1024).jpg [ 320.95 KiB | Viewed 10349 times ]

Close up of the CCO and wedge. The CCO is blocking wedge removal here.
Tutorial 005 (1024x683).jpg
Tutorial 005 (1024x683).jpg [ 271.69 KiB | Viewed 10349 times ]

Step one. Rotate the CCO until the narrow part is even with the wedge. The knob is a convenient marker to tell you have it lined up right.
Tutorial 006 (1024x835).jpg
Tutorial 006 (1024x835).jpg [ 335.81 KiB | Viewed 10349 times ]

Step two. The bottom end of the wedge is slotted for a screwdriver. With the screwdriver positioned as shown, push upward as far as it will go. Resist the temptation to smack it with a hammer to speed things along. If it is difficult to move, add your favorite solvent to free things up. Anyway, push the wedge upward until the keeper screw stops it.
Tutorial 007 (1024x683).jpg
Tutorial 007 (1024x683).jpg [ 421.67 KiB | Viewed 10348 times ]

Here is the wedge as far up as it will go. And as far as it NEEDS to go. You
may now remove the bolt.
Tutorial 008 (1024x683).jpg
Tutorial 008 (1024x683).jpg [ 314.37 KiB | Viewed 10348 times ]

This is a poor shot of the tiny screw that keeps the wedge in place. It's not only small - it's made of mild steel and will shear off or even break off if treated too roughly with a screw driver. If it seems rusted in place, leave well enough alone. This part is virtually unobtainium.
Tutorial 009 (1024x684).jpg
Tutorial 009 (1024x684).jpg [ 326.44 KiB | Viewed 10348 times ]

Now that you have removed the bolt, most folks want to take it apart for a good cleaning. All righty then! I can't think of another bolt that's easier to take apart. Simply unscrew the end cap and lay the few pieces in order. Cap - spring cover - spring - firing pin and bolt knob. This one of the few cases where "reassemble in reverse order" is as easy as it sounds. It will only go together one way that I have found.

Tutorial 011 (1024x442).jpg
Tutorial 011 (1024x442).jpg [ 183.45 KiB | Viewed 10348 times ]

Final step. Replace the bolt about halfway. With your handy screwdriver, push the wedge back through the receiver until it bottoms out. Rotate the CCO until the knob no longer obscures the sights and don't pull a muscle patting yourself on the back for a job well done! :bigrin:

Tutorial 012 (1024x650).jpg
Tutorial 012 (1024x650).jpg [ 318.52 KiB | Viewed 10348 times ]

Since people often ask what this is, here's a pic. This is a spring in the shape of a bowtie or dogbone if you'd rather. It tensions the CCO. Do not lose it!
Tutorial 014 (1024x572).jpg
Tutorial 014 (1024x572).jpg [ 366.55 KiB | Viewed 10348 times ]

Thus endeth the tutorial. Be sure to tip the hat check girl on your way out! ;) SW

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:39 pm 

Thank you. I have joined and logged in just to see the pictures regarding bolt removal. I have not bought a converted Vetterli yet but may, and I wanted to know something about them first. I have gathered that these are not for modern ammo,I already load light gallery loads for a 6.5 Japanese so loading my own ammo is absolutely no problem. This looks like an informative site and I see that I will have to visit more often

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:12 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

....welcome aboard,,, :Dbounce: ....Hogger will be happy to assist you... ;)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:27 pm 

There aren't many Italian rifle nuts here, but we are die hards! :bigrin: Welcome!! SW

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:00 am 
The Knife
The Knife

:welcome: However I am not am Italian collector but we also support others.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:40 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Thanks for dropping by!

Hey Hogger, what's the chances the an eye-tie & a Schweizer Vetterli bolt are the same dimensions? (not the 6,5 conversion the original)

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:57 am 

The bolt face might be close but I think that's about it. SW

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:50 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Dern. I was hoping to cheat and not drill the boltface on my 69/71

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:02 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:42 pm 

I wouldn't say "gallery loads" in the classic meaning of the term, but I do use very light cast bullet loads. I'm away from home and don't have my chronograph book. I'll post my mild load tomorow.

No kick at all and it shoots close to the sights @ 50M. SW