Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:37 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Ummh, I recently told a cheesed off collector of Carcanos to offer up his collection to those who could appreciate it. Was I bad? Sounds like he has some dogs for a collection as well. Cest La Guerre?

I'm betting his 8mm Carcano is a fake for some strange reason.

Best Regards,

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:10 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

since i don't know him i cannot say for certain , did he offer you any ?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:29 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Its some unhappy camper on another forum who has a few Carcanos he still keeps for what ever reason logic cannot define. He also says bad things about them, which most of us already know and ignore and valiantly try to overcome by figuring out Italian bores, ammo, and sights can vary/are different/all of the above. Hey, its a challenge, not an real easy one at times. This guy is just real crabby.

Best Regards,

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:18 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

We had one of those here. Bought an 8mm conversion from Et and was instantly overcome with byer's remorse. He also got swindled by a "vanity press".

Meaning the place will put into book form anything you write. For a price, of course. In this case it was a BIG price.

Then he got all mad about something else and melted down on the forum. Said meltdown was quickly followed by a vigorous application of the ban hammer.

Rants are welcome here any time - just not at fellow members. We might goof around a lot, but we is civil about it. SW

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:46 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

BTW, does a 91/28 have regular rifling? Does a 91/24 have the old sawed off gain twist rifling? Please say, no and no. If yes and no, I'm going to cry. Not another Carcano! Noooooooooooooooooooo! The OCD is just waiting to kick in.

I'm sensing a big, ARRRGH, GROWL, ARRGH coming on.

I should really just get a few more clips at Numerich first. Eeee Gads, why did I ever start on Carcanos? Was my M38 a gateway carbine into a bad habit? Or was it the FAT43 91/41? I don't want to go any further……arrgh, growl, arrgh.

You know, I could despise them, but they are so cute….. Actually, I feel horrible not getting used to the sights, finding the right sized bullet for my bore and probably five other things all special to the Carcano, one very different and storied family of rifles.

Oh well, I usually blame myself if I get taken, but I've gotten some rather nice deals along the way and I'm grateful for that. Hey, I'm usually the only one at the range with anything Italian.

Best Regards,

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:04 pm 

M91/24s have to each be inspected. Some had the gain twist amputated while others had the bad bore drilled out and a fresh liner brazed in place a la' Tubata.

Generally speaking, they can't hit a bull in the butt with a banjo. I messed around trying to size 270 boolets down to .268 until a Hornady tech told me it was a bad idea. Something about jacket separating from the core. I'm not entirely sure, but I figure that's what the guy does for a living so I took his caution to heart. That & I don't fancy my mug being rearranged via bad reloads.

But I did have encouraging results accuracy wise.

Came too close to a messed up mug via a pressure spike from trying to use IMR 3031 with the .268 160 grainers. Never again!!

Anyone who tells you the Carcano isn't strong is a dum bass! SW

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:12 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

So where did you find H414 for use in Carcanos?

I think I can now skip that Carcano carbine I never wanted…. Hey, I got two, or is that one and a short rifle?

Man, those .268 bullets are dandy, but the reloading dies are still intended for .264…. I usually growl during the reloading process. At least Lee Precision made a .268 pin and put it in my die set. Getting the .268 pin out is another problem.

I think that little carbine of mine with the foldout bayonet might be my most accurate Carcano. This truly scares me.

Best Regards,

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:16 pm 

Hornady recommends H414 and W760 only. The tech told me - data wasn't readily available then.

Now it's cast for me!! SW