[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - M38

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 2:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: M38
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:12 pm 
PFC
PFC

So I recently ran across a sale on a few old rifles. On a whim I picked up a M38. It seems to be a 1939 even though its only stamped 939. It's made by gardone and after cleaning it up it seems that the rifling and bore look pretty good. The sling may be original as well. There are not many markings on it and I'm just wondering if I got a deal or got beat. Paid $200. Will try to add photos

Post subject: Re: M38
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:24 pm 
PFC
PFC

Here's one

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 24.11 KiB | Viewed 7065 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 64.36 KiB | Viewed 7065 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:26 pm 
PFC
PFC

Some more

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 37.38 KiB | Viewed 7065 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 32.53 KiB | Viewed 7065 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:28 pm 
PFC
PFC

Last two

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 21.5 KiB | Viewed 7065 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 25.42 KiB | Viewed 7065 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:15 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

It looks like it's in original configuration, so that price isn't bat at all. The days of 50 dollar Carcanos are pretty much gone. That caliber is much easier to reload than 6,5 IMO. SW

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:11 am 
PFC
PFC

Any idea if it is a rare model?.. Something to hold on too? or a commonly found surplus rifle? Thoughts on the sling... Any idea how to tell if its original. I'm sorry but I don't know much about these and there is not as much info on the web for carcanos as there is for the mosin or k98. I figured you were the guy to ask , it seems you have a lot of knowledge when it comes to the carcano

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:29 am 

Certainly not what I'd call the "r-bomb" but that it lacks the Finn SA mark makes it more uncommon.

When the 7,35 caliber was withdrawn from service, these were just stuffed into warehouses where Germans seized many of them after the Sept 8, 1943 Italian surrender. These were then shipped off to German warehouses where some were given as aid to Germany's allies in Bulgaria.

Just for fun, look on the bottom of the stock ahead of the rear sling swivel. There might ( more likely might not) be a German armorer's mark. If so, the value just raised a bit. SW

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:19 am 
PFC
PFC

Ok any idea what the German armory marking would look like?. There is a faded cartouche that appears to be the fag 39 mark that you had discussed in a previous thread. So I guess this stock has been sanded. Other than that I don't really see any other markings.. There are two digits that I can't really make out that are located above the four digit serial that is on the stock. Once again thanks for all the help!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:42 pm 

The German armorer's mark will be a razi eagle over HZa-Jt3 or similar. It shows an armorer certified it was suitable for issue.

If the stock has been sanded, it may well have been obliterated. But still get a magnifying glass and look over the bottom edge of the stock between sling swivel and trigger guard. Watch for the remains of the Eagle or letters as described. They will be small and easy to miss.

I got mine for $65 at a gun show in Cheyenne and the seller had never even seen it. SW

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:07 am 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Haha, your rifle says "fag" on it! :hah:

Pretty good deal with the sling. I can't stand stock work though.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:44 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

A legit mark on an M 95 for reference

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete