[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Action smoothing 1870/87/15 Vetterli-Vital Project

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:32 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

My learning curve about these vintage/antique Vetter-Vital 1870/87/15 rifles has been really interesting. They have a lot of manufacturing mods that was done to accept the 6.5 Carcano round. I'm not going into the history of what and why as I'm more interested in making my Vetterli-Vital a little smoother and more used friendly. I'm not a gunsmith but rather a guy that has been fiddling with firearms for the last 30 years. So please don't fault me on technical terms just to show me up. If you have some suggestions for improving what I am doing or have already done please chime in with any help you may want to offer.

YOU MIGHT ASK "WHY BOTHER!" BECAUSE IT'S THERE AND I LIKE TRYING TO MAKE IT BETTER! WIN OR LOOSE IT WAS FUN!

MILL/STONE/SAND EJECTOR PIN SLOT TO MAKE SMOOTH. AS YOU CAN SEE HOW ROUGH THE CHANNEL MILLING WAS DONE.

MAKE AN ALIGNMENT PLATE TO RIDE IN THE CHANNEL.

HANG PLATE OVER EJECTOR PIN.

END RESULT. THIS WILL TAKE UP A "LOT" OF BOLT SLOP.

SMOOTH FIRING PIN GUIDE/TRACK. VERY ROUGH. TRACK TOO WIDE FOR FIRING PIN AND DECIDED IT NEEDS INSERT PAN.

USED SHIM STOCK AS GROUND WORK FOR CREATING A STEEL PAN "OR" WIDEN FIRING PIN TO FIT CHANNEL.

Last edited by Russian 54r on Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:33 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

The channel pan design could also go a couple other ways. Could braze the firing pin to make it wider. Could add a spacer bar to close the gap to the firing pin. Just gotta experiment around with a couple of ideas.

IT DOES WORK AS A FEASIBILITY EXPERIMENT GOES. IT'S SMOOTHER AND ALIGNMENT IS BETTER!

DEEP INSIDE THE RECEIVER ARE TWO BOLT LOAD BEARING JOURNALS THAT NEED SMOOTHING OUT. MY BOLT RUBS AT ABOUT THE 10 O'CLOCK AND 5 O'CLOCK POSITIONS AS INDICATED ON THE BOLT.

I USED A ROUND STONE TO TAKE OUT ROUGH AREAS AND WILL USE WET/DRY PAPER FOR FINISHING IT UP. (WORK IN PROGRESS)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:35 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

I took the ejector pin/screw out again and rounded the end to better slide along the bolt's channel. I just can't believe how much better things are starting to get with the few things I've done. It already actions so much more smoothly than when I started. I don't know how good my method of checking headspace with scotch tape on end of a bullet, but with two pieces of scotch tape on case head the bolt doesn't close. With one piece it does close. I realize that this is not a "rimmed" cartridge also and may not be getting accurate clearances.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:23 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

I'm more into the collecting aspect of these, but that's quite interesting.

Strictly speaking since the Vitali magazine is no longer present, it's called a Vetterli-Carcano by collectors.

That said, it's yours and you may call it what you wish.

And! Welcome to the forum! :bigrin: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

In your shopping for more Vetterlis, if you ever see one marked "RE" or "CAS" and don't want it for yourself, I have $ and serious trading stock set aside for such rifles. SW

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:19 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:21 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

My Grusome Twosome! Had to make a couple of "facsimile" cleaning rods. One is missing the butt plate.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:40 pm 

What does "RE" and "CAS" mean. Does it mean they are more rare?

RE = Regio Esercito or royal army. CAS = Corpo Afro Somali. The rifles were marked so they were specific to certain units. These marks (or brands in most cases) are very uncommon. SW

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:04 am 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Being new to the Vetterli Carcano, and never seeing one before I got mine, do most all have a very jerky and unpredictable actioning. Mine was sticking, binding and jumping out of the rear firing pin track. I'm at a point now that I want to load some "reduced loads" and try both of mine. So many opinions on loads and the safety of shooting them. My plan is to use Trail Boss powder, .264"/140 grain SP-BT jacketed bullets. I'll only shoot a few and if the two rifles work well I'll buy some cast bullets to work with.