Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 9:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ammunition alternatives
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:39 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

It may be a little early to post this, but I and another Italian collector/shooter have been experimenting with resizing the Hornady 150 grain 270 cal bullet to .268

So far, things look good - accuracy potential seems to be there and in 200 rounds on my end NO signs of pressure spikes.

I see some positives in this approach: This is by far a better bullet for hunting over the .268 160 grainer which is for all intents & purposes a FMJ.

The lesser weight and shorter bearing surface may be a big help in keeping away from the pressure spikes seen in the .268 160 grainer used with other than the 2 magic powders & magnum LR primers.

Eventually, some unenlightened soul will wreck his 6.5 Vetterli & himself by shooting Hornady factory ammo. That company will write someone a big check & that bullet will disappear from production forever.

Then there is the price issue... Hornady 160 grain .268 bullets = about 27 busks a box. Hornady 150 grain 270 bullets go for around 18. Okay, my math scholarship to Princeton was revoked on a technicality ( I am a little umb-day) but it's looking like a savings of around 9 smackers a box.

Works for me!! 8)

To participate in this savings, one needs to call LEE & order a custom bullet sizing kit - 25 dollars plus freight & it takes about 3 weeks. WELL worth the money!

Loading data to follow in a few weeks & I will send a few bullets to interested parties for experimenting & accurate load development. SW