Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 12:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 91/24 CARCANO
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:11 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

I have a question for the Italian experts. On the 91/24 cut down rifles, were they all done the same as in stock configuration? Were they all set up as a 91/38 with a bayonet lug end cap or were some made with out an end lug?

I have seen some that look sort of like a sporter but they look as if they were made that way (kinda like a jungle carbine look forend). I have seen this on more then one and they all looked the same.

Resident of the Northern Republic of Free California

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:54 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

I'm not an expert, but the M91-24s were made to a consistent pattern. They take the same bayonet as the M91 long rifle. ( I just checked & all my M91 bayos fit all my M91-24s)

The ones you see with no bayonet lug are often "supremas"... One way to tell a suprema is that the buttstock is not usually shortened. On the M91-24, the stock has been shortened to about the same length as the M91TS.

I would pay around 50 for a suprema just to have a specimen for the collection & maybe double that for an M91-24... unless it was antique, Torre Annunziata or Torino. Then I would probably overspend. :? SW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:04 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

SW

Here is a poor photo of what I have seen. I did my best to make it look better but thats all I have at the moment. It does look like it has the long stock.

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:33 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

The M91/24 has a barrel lenght of about 17 3/4" and the rear sight modified to be adjustable from 600 to 1500 meters. There will be an oval stamped on the R/H barrel flat with the words "FARE Terni" and a two digit number like 25, 26, ect. indicating the date the conversion was done. The barrel will also be turned down in dia. about 4 3/4" in front of the receiver from .765" to .600" and the stock will be inletted to match this.

The Suprema will have the original rear sight adustable from 600 to 2000 meters and the barrel lenght will be 20"-22". They will also usually have Made Italy and Cal. 6.5 stamped on them. The Suprema was not a military conversion but was done by a company in Italy and exported to the U.S. to be sold as sporting rifles. It is actually the model Oswald ordered but Kliens sent him a short rifle instead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:58 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

airdale

Thanks for the info. Do you by chance have a photo of a Suprema Carcano? And am I correct that a 91/24 and Suprema are two different rifles?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:37 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Yes the M91/24 and Carbina Suprema are two different rifles. The M91/24 was a long rifle that was converted to a TS carbine by Fare (Fabbrica d'Armi Regio Escercito or Royal Army Arms Factory) Terni between 1924 - 1928

The Carbina Suprema was a long rifle converted to a sporting rifle by Riva in Italy in the late 50's - early 60's and imported into the U.S. by a company I think was called Crescent Firearms. They also modified Cav. carbines during this time frame by cutting off the bayonet lug parallel with the barrel and imported them also as sporting rifles.

I don't have a picture of a Supremo but the best way to tell is by the rear sight. The supremo keep the original rear sight with adjustments from 600 - 2000 meters. The M91/24 had the leaf shortened and was adjustable from 600 - 1500 meters and the rest of the numbers were ground off. The M91/24 also had the standard front band/ bayonet lug that accepted the standard M91 bayonet and as I mentioned in my last post there will be an oval with the words Fare Terni and a two digit number stamped on the R/H barrel flat. The two digit number indicates the year the conversion was done like 27 would mean the conversion was done in 1927.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:05 pm 

Mark,

The pic you have posted very much appears to be a suprema. Generally speaking, no bayonet lug and a configuration as shown = suprema.

All military issue Carcano rifles will have a bayonet lug. Anything else is a sporter of one kind or another. SW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:18 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

interesting rifle , i was thinking about these last weekend , watching the history channel peice on the kennedy assassination , a very well covered peice i will add

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:43 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Thanks for all the info on this subject. It has been very helpful for me!