[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Model 1891: My search for meaning

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 7:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:43 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

I disassembled the rifle and got better pictures of all the markings. Below is a list of the marks and what I think they mean (thanks to all of you), but I welcome clarification, additional information, thoughts...

The Stock says Riparto which essentially means "to start again" or refurbish. Below that is TA and IFG, which I don't know the meaning of. Below that is the serial number 4636, which has been stamped over another 4 digit number ?84?.

The octagon base of the barrel says AG (?), F4636 (serial number), 17 (year of manufacture?), Mida Brescia (the arsenal and city), and RP in a circle (?). Under the barrel, where it is covered by the stock, there are the following marks: F over 8414 over L1433.

On the bottom of the receiver is F over 8414 (again), the PR stamp within the oval (again) and a tiny little Mida stamp, also in an oval.

Finally, on the back of the sight ladder, is 7 2, which I believe to mean 7mm Mauser. The same number appears on the barrel under the sight. there is also a star and the letter P stamped over a B.

Pictures below...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:18 am 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:53 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:15 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

I love the fact that we can gleen such good info from these folks here on the forum!

Also love those old long rifles!!!!!!

BTW, you need to place your images underneath each other (by hitting enter after each one) I edited your post to do this. Otherwise your post is 'approxamilewide'

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:17 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

nice looking rifle - interesting photos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:32 pm 

Oops! Now I see that AG is not the serial number letter block like I assumed... It is as airdale describes. SW

Post subject: Great Group
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:57 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:30 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Ok Carcano guys!

Were there a lot of 1917 long rifles built? I know that alot of the 1891 were cut down for short and carbines but I just have noticed that like aehall10's rifle date the 2 1891's that I have are also 1917 dated! At what point did they quit making the 1891 series rifles?

aehall10,

I see under your rear sight what looks like a flower or 5 pointed star, does your stock have a stamping like that also? I have one on the stock and rear tag of my 1891 long rifle also. Here is the photos of mine.

Resident of the Northern Republic of Free California

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:08 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:24 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

Post subject: Great Eye
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:34 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:19 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

No problem

I had noticed the star on one of my rifles and then noticed it on yours. I was wondering if your stock has the star also. My rifle like yours has matching numbers on the stock also but the matching numbers were stamped over older numbers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:35 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

I have a Terni M91 made in 1927.It's missing a couple of parts.I've had it a while but didn't think it was worth restoring.It's missing the extractor,the screw that holds the upper band on,the lower band spring is weak,and it needs a handguard.Also there is no cleaning rod.Can these parts be found?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:52 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Yes with time they can be found, SW has some connections on them, I think that is Springfield Sporters.

http://www.ssporters.com/Carcano.htm

I would think that the top hand guard for that long sight will be hard to find. Keep an eye on fleebay (aka eBay) I see Carcano parts there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:03 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:08 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:36 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:48 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:10 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Yep

That would be the one. I'll have to call them as I need a few.

airdale where are you!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:45 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant