[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - 1891 Terni bolt issue

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1891 Terni bolt issue
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:56 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

I have a 1917 made Terni long rifle. I cannot for the like of me figure out why the bolt is tight. With lots (and I mean lots) of effort I can force the bolt in and down and to get it out I have to knock it out with a hammer or the counter.

The bolt goes in fine to the bolt stop, then pull the trigger and after the lugs pass the stop the bolt is tight. I did lightly spray paint on the bolt to see the touching points which can be seen in the photos.

I tried other Carcano bolts with the same results. Where do I go from here. The seller of course says there was no bolt issues when he had it. The rifle has the crossed rifles mark so I really would like to see how accurate it is.

Any ways here are some photos of the rifle.

Resident of the Northern Republic of Free California

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:18 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:23 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Have you taken it apart lately?Or have you tightened the action screws?I know it may sound crazy,but sometimes on some rifles the rear action screw for what ever reason sticks out to far out of the top of the receiver and binds against the cocking piece..Try backing off on the rear action screw and see if it gets better.If that does it someone may have changed screws at some point in the rifles history.Just file some off of the screw.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:39 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Rifleman

I'll check that here in a few minutes and see. It would be nice it that was the problem.

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:15 pm 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

look at it from the rear with the bolt removed, see if the right side of the rear ring has been compressed. Had a m38 cavalry carbine do this to me, and that was the problem. I put the bolt in till the handle was in the middle of the rear ring and whacked the bolt handle with a mallet, opened it up enough to move freely. that rifle doesn't get used anymore, though. y'all have a good day, Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:40 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:54 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Well, I tried all the suggestions but no go. I did put a mic on the bolt and other Carcano bolts and the bolt is a tad fatter but it functions in the other Carcano's.

I also mic'ed the rear top gap on the rifle and it was narrower then 5 other Carcanos so I think that maybe the problem such as with keithreid's rifle.

What was odd was I tried 2 bolts from my two M41's that look new and they worked but were tight. The other oddity of the M41 bolts was that the trigger would not release the bolt (as in dry fire).

Hmm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:53 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Mybusa, take the barreled action out of the stock and remove the trigger assembly, there is only one pin that holds the sear, ejector, and bolt stop. Try the bolt with these parts removed and see if it works, if so then your problem will be with one of these parts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:04 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Airdale

Thanks for the idea but it was still tight. I decided to throw away the rifle in anger :? :?

Not really!

I slept on the thought and had an idea. One of my air hammer chisels was the same out side diameter as my other Carcano's gaps were. So I gently tapped it through the gap (the chisel is tapered) and BINGO the bolt works perfect. So some how the area was bumped just enough to make the bolt tight.

keithreid

Your post gave me the idea but with out the wacking!! Now when my body heals I can test the crossed rifle markings!!

Thanks