[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Vetterli images

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vetterli images
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:06 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Here's some eye candy for the FEW people who enjoy these. Heck, our pal & milsurp magnet Mybusa doesn't even have one! ;) One of these days, though! 8-)

Here's a group shot.

An exceptional stock that only appeared after several hours with dish soap and a plastic brush. It cost me $60

A target from the dedicated RCBS mould and my pet load of Hodgdon CTG.

Comparison of my newest 1870/87 long rifle and the Vetterli moschetto I just got minutes ago.

A poor shot I hoped would show the rotating bolt cover. I am impressed by the way the opening tab blocks the rear sight when it's lined up for bolt removal.

Your totally useless trivia for the day - there is no word in
Italian for 'carbine' they use moschetto.

You fellows continue to not buy them - keeps them cheeper for ME!!! :P :bigrin: SW

Post subject: Re: Vetterli images
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:50 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Drooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool !!!!!!!

I'm still looking for an original single shot version :-?

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:53 pm 

The moschetto bore mikes .428 so I can just use 44 mag cast boolets & a light load airdale gave me. Man I like it!! :bigrin: SW

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:50 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Hey Steve, on the one I've got......what size of cast boooooooolits
are used ? (Hopefully NOT an expensive Lyman mould)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:25 am 

I never did use 44 mag bullets because I had so much sunk into the RCBS heeled mould. Slug the bore & you should be able to use regular cast or over the counter lead bullets like Meister or Hornady. SW

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:19 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Yes but this one you KNOW what it likes :lol

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:25 pm 

Yours likes Hodgdon Pyrodex CTG. I went with 777 as it doesn't smell up the kitchen when soaking cases. Strong sulfur smell with CTG - darn good powder, though.

I mentioned Meister & Hornady as both use quite a soft alloy. It's been a while, but I think yours mikes .427 My mold throws .428 boolets & I just added lube & blasted away. SW

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:04 am 
Colonel
Colonel

I refuse to be tempted by the evils of the Vette's :twisted: :twisted:

But man those look nice and big holes they leave :-o :-o

Nice looking stocks on those old girls also.

Resident of the Northern Republic of Free California

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:17 am 

You will succumb to the madness!!! :P Someone I know who looks a lot like you just got an Astra 400 after I related how much I enjoyed shooting mine! ;)

There's a REALLY nice 6.5 Vetterli on gunbroker right now with an exceptional striped walnut stock... priced right and no bids for a few weeks now. I are not bidding as I just bought another 10.4 Vett from a 'train & hobby shoppe' in NY. I got a tip from a forum friend on another site & called the place.

I am also lusting for a Dutch Beaumont carbine that isn't too expensive... yet. SW

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:18 am 
Colonel
Colonel

He not only looks like me but lives at the same address!

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:37 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

......I cant resist but say that everytime I see one of those that the back ensd reciever/bolt combo make it look like they're pregnant...or have a reeeeeeeealy fat shell in there... :rotflma: :crzy: ;)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:13 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

:lol :lol :lol

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:03 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

those are interesting looking rifles - kinda classic good looks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:55 pm 

Here's my FIRST Vetterli, it's an 1889 Terni with nice cartouches, 6.5 Carcano conversion...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:00 pm 

That's a nice, clear Roma cartouche! For an artillery works, they sure did a lot of other stuff... like make M91 long rifles & bayonets and converting 1870/87s to 1870/87/15s!

By the way, welcome to the site! :bigrin: Please don't be put off by all the cutting up - jump right in. We try to not be as 'stuffy' as another very popular milsurp site.

In honor of your new membership, I meant to post a "special interest" cutie image. Katya sez it's a little too cold for those monkeyshines, though. Maybe a nice pic in the spring! :rotflma: :crzy: :P :bigrin:

Here are a few more Vetterlis I got very recently. SW

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:08 pm 
International Man of Mystery
International Man of Mystery

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:48 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Dang

Another one to encourage SW and his Vettes. Now the pink puff balls are very nice!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:54 pm 

She is trying to keep her heating bill down. I wouldn't think she would have any trouble getting help to stay warm! :-o :crzy: :rotflma: SW

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:03 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Well I'm warm just looking at her! Ok back to guns or our new member might get the wrong impression!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:24 pm 

"our new member might get the wrong impression"

I think the cat's already out of the bag! :rotflma: :rotflma: :bigrin: SW