[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - I just got another scarce one!

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:05 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Woo hoo!! A Beretta M91-38TS! Yes, it's from Albania, but given the scarcity, I will not mind steaming the stock and removing the several ounces of cosmolene it still contains.

Beretta made an estimated 90,000 of this model and with combat losses as well as those converted to 7.9 post-war, I estimate the remaining number to be quite small.

It also did not hurt my feelings that no one else bid! I guess folks are sinking their $ into AKs & cases of ammo. Works for me!!

And! I feel there's better than a 50% chance it's navy issue!! :bigrin: SW

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:11 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

...where in the world do you sniff these things out...??? :lol

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:40 pm 

I could smell the cosmolene 3 blocks away! :crzy: :bigrin:

Using an internet automatic translator, I joined an Italian milsurp site today = http://www.worldwar.it So far, everyone's all helpful & friendly. No racy pics, though! ;) I posted some pics & questions, but due to the time difference, not many replies yet. SW

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:07 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Maybe that could be the place to post my special Beretta pistol? I guess I should post it here also :bigrin:

In the pistol section for those who need to see it!

Resident of the Northern Republic of Free California

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:18 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

lookin good , nice find ,

say nebrahogger - do you remember a coach for you basketball team by the name of norm stewert ? just wonderin , he was my neighbor back when he was at the university of northern iowa ,

mtbusa - id check that pistol out there , i think you might get some good info from them

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:31 am 

Never heard of norm.... I'm not much into hoops. Once upon a time, I bought a house from Monte kiffin when he had just started coaching football. SW

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:59 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

just wondered - it was a big deal in my home town when norm went to the big red , and IIRC he was quite successful , but that was a long time ago now ,

im not into the hoop game eather , for obvious reasons my family was very much in tune with the ladies volleyball from the time my daughter was in grade scool thru her playing for st cloud state and assistant coaching at south dakota state ,

mybusa - did you get more info ? thats a really nifty pistol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:40 am 
Colonel
Colonel

Nope no hoops here either! :bigrin:

Oh on the pistol not much just ideas. Which are nice but if it really is from a secret group there may not be much out there. What I have found is that OVRA was a small and shall I say force full group that believed in El Duce's ideals for a fascist state, even if that meant at the barrel end of a gun! Maybe a silenced one at that! :bigrin:

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:05 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Congrats on the find. Maybe I can get lucky enough to find one!

ImageImageImageCharlie...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:16 am 

You can't go wrong buying anything made by Beretta. Mr Beretta was against the Fascists and really didn't make a lot of military arms until they stomped into his office & put a rifle to his head.

Walnut was extinct in Europe by this time, but Beretta had a pile rat-holed... and the Fascists made them use it up on military rifles. So you see a late war rifle with a walnut stock, grab it.

The biggy by Beretta? An M91 long rifle from the late 30s. These are a real sleeper!! SW

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:51 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

SW

When did Beretta start making military aka Carcano's and which ones did they make? I think my earliest is my 1929 TS Navy marked and my newest is a 1941 or 42 Cav Carbine. Did Beretta make 91/41's?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:32 pm 

A 1929 M91-28 is the earliest Beretta I have. I also have a Beretta M38 cav carbine ( 7.35 cal). They made a FEW M91 long rifles, 180,000 M91-38 cav carbines ( 6.5) around 90,000 M91-38TS ( just scored one of those! :bigrin: )

For another RARE rifle, Beretta converted a few 1870 Vetterli single shot rifles to 22 trainers in 1934. There's one on gunbroker right now with an opening bid of around 1200 busks.

The M41? No. ( now watch one pop up somewhere! ;) ) SW

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:48 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:03 pm 

I think we're going to see a lot more of this kind of rifle up for sale as people scramble to buy AKs and ARs & sell off such stuff.

Works for me as Italian rifle prices seem to be down right now... with certain exceptions.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:34 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:47 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:01 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

I think I need to start looking for more odd ball also. The only thing is I don't really know what they are :-? :-?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:28 pm 

You have a big enough assortment that if you have not seen a particular item before, you would most likely do well to grab it.

I was just funnin' about you being easy... I am the worst person you will talk to today for impulse buying! Like the Beretta I just got - my toy fund was dry but I hit one of the CDs for the $ :(

Wifey doesn't fuss too much - with all the marital problems her sisters are having, she considers my compulsion small spuds in comparison. I have to be good now until the tax refund hits the bank account. SW

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:47 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

I know your just razzin me. I do skip over a lot more then I used to. Just for some reason if it's a Beretta I think I gotta have it!

I also think I may add this year to the same mind set of buying the C&R pistols I want just in case things change!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:56 pm 

Well! 8-) The gamble paid off! No navy stock cartouche ( the divided shield) but it very much appears to have been struck on the barrel. Also a small anchor appears on the bolt!

It's not chiseled in stone, but I'm 75% sure it's a Navy/San Marco Marines TS now. It's from Albania - the sure signs of that are a small CAI import mark on the barrel and ounces if not a pound of cosmolene! :-o I mean, this was SOAKED in the stuff!

No time tonight, but I'll hit it with a fresh can o' engine degreaser, knock as much of the cosmo off as I can I look it over with a loupe.

My camera seems to have wandered off with preppy daughter so no pics of the marks - perhaps mybusa will post an image of the Navy cartouche.

These are supposed to be rare, but I have a couple - so does mybusa - saw one recently at auction that was advertised as same... and it sold for double what I paid for this one. I don't think the seller noticed the anchor on the bolt of mine.

I've done a little research into the San Marco Marines, and their favorite shooter seems to have been the Beretta SMG. I've also seen a pic of Mussolini with a company of them who were equipped with German Mauser rifles. However, they were also issued TS in various configurations.

You see an M91-38TS, look it over closely! SW