[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Italian East Africa rifle

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:17 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

I got my M.95 Budapest with the AOI ( Italian East Africa) marking today and was pleased to see it's still in 8x50R. The letter C appears on both sides of the stock...

After WW1, Italy received thousands of M.95 rifles from Austria-Hungary as war reparations. Many were cut down as shown and sent to East Africa where they were issued to native levies.

Italian rifles in East Africa were branded on the stock to show ownership. The AOI rifles went to various tribesmen,and some were branded 'CAS' = Corpo Afro Somali and issued to that people. Italian Army rifles had 'RE' branded into the stock = 'Royal Army'.

The brands were to prevent pilferage and black marketing. If natives or enemy were found with an RE-marked rifle, they were immediately shot.

The AOI and CAS rifles were branded more to prevent black marketing - like being traded for goats or more wives. Natives with the wrong tribal issue rifle were "otherwise punished". Beaten or whipped, possibly.

At the outset of WW2, Italy forced the Brits from British East Africa ( and presumably the French from French East Africa). The British then attacked the Italians from Kenya and took the territory for themselves. The various tribesmen were then disarmed, and the AOI rifles were sent to India for use as trainers.

These fell into disuse and were sold here along with the Indian Enfields we have on the market.

This one does not have any British markings, and those worthies were not a bit shy about stamping all sorts of marks on their rifles, especially captured ones. They had to be proved and otherwise marked.

I thought the 'C' might mean Serbia, but a long-time M.95 collector thinks not. Possibly it's just a rack number.

In any case,I'm happy to have it as you just don't see them very often. If anyone sees a Carcano, Vetterli or M.95 marked 'CAS', please send me the seller's information or else make a profit selling it to me! ;) Mybusa has no interest in these!!! :bigrin: SW

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:00 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

...is it possible the C is a crude painting attempt at a 'crescent moon symbol' like Turkish or muslim???
.....regardless,I like any rifle with an interesting tale of history to tell of its prior owners and travels... :bigrin:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:22 pm 

It's always possible, but the Turks were not shy about stamping little crescents all over the place - like a turked Gew 88.

I looked for other tell-tale Yugo marks ( like circle T and a numbered bolt) and there are none. I've been checking around, and conventional wisdom is that it's simply a rack number.

Still, a very interesting piece! No luck on the Italian web site. I've gotten about as many questions for me to answer as I've asked. SW

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:31 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

...well you have inspired me to keep my eyes open for Eye-talin stuff.....by the way,have I ever mentioned I came up with a kick-ass pizza foccacia recipe many moons ago that I swear Pizza hut pirated my idea years later after I posted it online...???...it started out with a basic traditional foccacia recipe I came across-but after I made it the first time I realized that with modification it would make an excellent pizza....I tried it-it did...I spread the word....a few years later Pizza Hut stole the idea-BUT-it aint as good as MINE... :bigrin: ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:55 pm 

You can do your own deep dish crust, too. Roll bread dough out - let it raise a bit and quickly pan fry on both sides in a hot pan. Baking will finish it on the inside.

I tried it a few years ago and somehow managed a rim on the crust to keep the sauce & ingredients from sliding off.

It was made with vanishing cream as it soon disappeared! :bigrin: SW

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:06 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Resident of the Northern Republic of Free California

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin