Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A few scarce items
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:53 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Wifey wanted a better camera for grand daughter pics & I made sure it had good macro capability. I even figured out how to download the pics & size them!

1) Stock cartouche for a 7.35 This should appear on cav carbines and TS - sometimes but not always on M38 short rifles. A sanded cartouche really hurts the value.

The idea was that troops could tell by feeling the stock in the dark which caliber they needed... I don't know how they could tell the ammo apart. They soon dropped the 7.35 caliber.

2) The 'E' on this M91-28 shows it came from Greece. It stands for "Ellas" or similar - since the Greeks had captured many Italian rifles, these were opened up for the 6.5 Greek Mannlicher cartridge and used against communist partisans post WW2. I'm not sure what Ellas means - (it's Greek to me!) ;)

3) This one is a double - a 1900 Torre Annunziata M91 long rifle = scarce in itself - was captured by Austrians somewhere in the mountains above the Isonzo valley. These were inspected in an artillery works and most were opened up to 6.5 Greek Mannlicher cartridge. Many will have Jt u Gr on the stock for "Italien und Greiche" meaning both the 6.5 Carcano and 6.5 Greek Mannlicher cartridges could be used interchangably. In theory.

4) The navy marking appears inder the 'D' of the serial number. It was usually stamped on the stock somewhere, but you will see it on the metal sometimes. I couldn't get a decent shot of a Navy stock cartouche - maybe Mybusa will post one.

5) The best for last! A Lorenzotti Brescia M91-28. Very rare! The gunbroker ad showed "Mauser Carcano 30 carbine Lorenzotti". I sent the seller an e-mail asking how they could tell it was a 30 carbine & just got a smart remark. Mybusa said he didn't get a good answer, either.

While discussing another rifle with one of the big time Italian collectors, he told me not to mess around and call the place. So I did & the guy asked me to make an offer/haggle. Got it for 120 + freight.

At modest prices, any of these are very good trading stock/opportunities for profit! Calif. is getting pretty restrictive, so just to be on the safe side, you should offer them to me so Mybusa won't get in trouble! :rotflma: SW

Attachments:
lorenzotti 055.jpg
lorenzotti 055.jpg [ 28.29 KiB | Viewed 2728 times ]
lorenzotti 053.jpg
lorenzotti 053.jpg [ 30.72 KiB | Viewed 2727 times ]
lorenzotti 049.jpg
lorenzotti 049.jpg [ 27.01 KiB | Viewed 2727 times ]
NavyTS.jpg
NavyTS.jpg [ 44.08 KiB | Viewed 2726 times ]
lorenzotti 044.jpg
lorenzotti 044.jpg [ 28.09 KiB | Viewed 2726 times ]

Post subject: Re: A few scarce items
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:46 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

....methinks you oughta make this a 'stickie'....and then keep adding on to it as you do more :bigrin:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:05 pm 

We'll see what mybusa sez - he's got some rare ones, too. SW

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:41 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

....well yeah-but what I'm saying is stick it....then you stick other important rare ones mit der goot info onto this thread....that way anybody researching has a one stop post to go to :-o