[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Scored another Beretta Navy TS!!

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:22 am 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

When I wanted to get serious about collecting Italian stuff, it occurred to me that I should make a list of everyone who knew more about that topic than me... I quickly realized it would be a VERY long list, so I tried to narrow it down a bit - like who the big hitters are and how to get on cordial terms with them.

Did that. A couple of the major Italian rifle collectors take pity on me and feed me a little information. Then I learned of a German book on the topic and got that. It was a little pricey to get it here from Deutchland airmail, but it was worth it. I speak pretty much no German but am able to decipher the production tables and some other critical information.

Now I hear there's a good Italian book on the topic and have begun seeing how I can acquire that one.

I then reasoned Italians might be up on certain aspects of collecting and joined an Italian site by using an on-line translator. Which doesn't work too well, but they know some pretty obscure stuff...

Like the 'D' letter block for Beretta M91-38TS was for the Italian navy. I had one on hand, so that looked legit. Then I spotted another Beretta TS from the D letter block on gunbroker... and bid. I told mybusa & he spotted a navy stock cartouche I had not seen. Better & better! In the attached pics, notice how the receiver is numbered... Beretta didn't do that - the Albanians did, and for what reason I have no clue. I'd join an Albanian milsurp site, but I don't even know what language they speak!

It seems the Beretta letter block D is not alone in the navy contract - mybusa just scored one from the 'C' block. These are supposed to be rare, but I have 3 and mybusa has more than that. I've gotten 2 this year already.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =125085800

I guess the moral of the story is to do lots of homework... listen to what anyone has to say on the topic at hand! MAKE NOTES!!! Then watch the auctions closely. The sellers very often do not know what they have for sure. This is the second Navy TS that the seller did not notice the Navy cartouche. One who did had it priced up in the stratosphere!

Here's another tip, and you heard it here first! ;) There are Italian bayonets with anchors on them - usually on the cross guard. Not a maker's mark - these are Navy bayonets! AFAIC, they are worth a premium, but I can't say to what extent.

I really enjoy collecting these! Unlike Wrenchesters or Colts where there are several books on the topic and collector associatons, this is a "learn as you go" genre. Kinda fun, actually! :bigrin:

You no doubt noticed it's a little beat up and soaked in cosmo ( cosmolene is the premier national product of Albania!) Well, our pal and milsurp magnet, Mybusa has been coaching me on how to improve a stock like this... we will see if I can get-r-done! SW

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:05 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

congrats ,

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:52 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

...dang...!!! :-o ....whats the addy on Ross enterprises...???....its listed in Dayton-I have to drive thru Dayton every day to work... :-o ....i coulda picked it up for ya... :lol ;)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:32 pm 

3031 Orchard Glen Dr. I faxed him an FFL copy but will have to wait til tomorrow for a MO - snow too deep for a trip to the bank & PO.

Just looked outside & it's still a rip-snorter. But it's March & the snow will all be gone in 3 or 4 days. SW

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:27 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

....omigawd... :-o ....wifey and I carpool everyday to save on gas and vehicle use.....he is about 1/2 mile away(if even that far) from where she works... :-o :-o :-o ....i TOLD ya I coulda picked it up for ya... :rotflma:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:32 pm 

If you stop in some time, he had a gaggle of other rifles up for auction. SW

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =125586386

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:59 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

....well...I cant really "stop in".... :roll: .....his addy is an apartment complex-not a business storefront......its kinda like me calling myself "Mario's Milsurp Emporium..." :bigrin:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:24 pm 

Heck, we call you that all the time! :jok: :crzy: :rotflma: :bigrin: SW

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:29 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

LUCKY! Nice rifle!

██ █ ████ everything ███ █████ is █████ ████ ████ fine ████ ███ █ ██████ love. █████ ███████ ███ your █████ ████ government.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:17 am 
Colonel
Colonel

Mybusa now has 2 in the C block of Beretta rifles. Also with all the navy markings and this is the first one I have seen with out the MADE in ITALY import marking. All of mine have that import marking.

Navy Shield

Anchor on bolt

Navy shield (small one) and the big one is the Beretta stamp

Resident of the Northern Republic of Free California

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:37 am 

That's the Navy anchor by PB on the bolt root? The armorer didn't smack it very hard with the hammer. Must have done that Monday AM when he still had a hangover! :-o SW

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:53 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

You know the Italians like their wine!!

Resident of the Northern Republic of Free California

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:36 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

.....ya know...???....one of the memories that will stick with me till the day I die is sitting at an outdoor trattoria overlooking the Mediterranean outside of a small village south of Naples (name escapes me at the moment)....some 35 years ago....sun slowly setting....nice soft gentle breezes blowing....and there on a small table in front of me-a large plate of pasta-and a full bottle of some Italian wine.............priceless... :bigrin:

.....and DAMN was it ever great... ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:27 pm 

There are more Navy TS at auction right now... like this one. The seller does not seem to know what it is or the price would be a lot higher.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =131311897

Just for fun, look for the navy marks. Hint: they are not easy to see but they are there. There's also a navy Carcano bayonet at auction right now, but the seller knows what it is and has it priced accordingly. I think I'll hold out for a sleeper. SW