Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:41 am 
Colonel
Colonel

I have to keep up with SW and his carbines so here are two Brescia TS carbines, one is a 1914 and the other is a perfect 1916. Both have escaped the up grade to the middle band addition as most were redone to.

First is the 1914 with great markings including the accuracy crossed rifle marking and a large V marked on the top of the barrel and a stare marking on the trigger housing that I have not seen before.

Also the other things odd on it are what I have only seen on 1930's and up barrel markings is the MADE in ITALY on the barrel. And these other carbines were Navy rifles.

The other is the unusual way that the top hand guard is held on and the lack of the normally seen tab on the front band as seen in the other TS shown here.

Next up is a very nice looking 1916 Brescia TS. Nothing really special, but a great looking carbine.

Thanks again for looking!

Resident of the Northern Republic of Free California

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:28 am 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

The star on the trigger guard shows it was refurbed in some way - possibly the stock was replaced... maybe the trigger guard/magazine itself.

The tab holding the handguard on was an early feature that was soon changed as it was prone to damage. You sink your bayonet into some slavering bad guy & there goes the handguard... and will the Lt be understanding at the next inspection? Perhaps not.

That one was a very good grab!!

I don't think that 'made in Italy' mark is too unusual. This one just sat around in some arsenal a long time before it was dusted off and exported here. Hard to say how many of the half million of these survived the wars or were not upgraded to M91-28s, but you did good! SW

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 3:48 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

SW

In your books have you been able to tell what the large V stands for?

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:44 pm 

Nothing in either book. Every rifle I have with the V has been refurbed in some way, though. Possibly an armorer's mark.

Three v's show the rifle came from Greece. VVV is apparently Lambda Lambda Lambda - a motto of some military group. SW

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:57 pm 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

nice looking rifles ya got there! pop has a 1916 we rescued from a pawnshop several years ago that he's been slowly restoring. the only part he hasn't been able to find is the sling loop that sticks out of the left side of the forearm. anybody know where we might find one of these?

thanks, y'all have a good day! Keith

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:00 am 

That's a tough part to find. If you get back to Wyo, the hippie guy from Gillette had quite a pile of Italian parts. I got some scarce stuff from him but didn't even look for one of those. SW

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:17 am 
Colonel
Colonel

Keith

Are you talking about the loop here on the left side?

If you are I had to buy a pile of yuckness Albanian carbine just for that part.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:13 pm 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

oh, yeah. that's it. he's been looking for one for about 3 years, but he doesn't get out much.

I'll be back in wyoming in about 2 weeks, maybe the gillete guy has built his stock back up since i left! thanks y'all, and have a good one! Keith

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:01 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Keith

I might have a stock but it's beat pretty bad if he get's desperate.