Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:24 am 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

I have been on two websites to familarize myself with a Carcano 6.5 rifle that I recently purchased. I had the same rifle back in 1965 when it was for sale at JM Fields for $14.00. It was the first rifle I owned and the one that my Dad taught me how to sight in as much as possible with a firearm that was less then quality. I kept that rifle until I needed money just before enlisting in the Army. I promised myself and my Dad that I would one day purchase another and restore it, that has taken me over 46 years to accomplish. I have a good working knowledge of this model rifle because of my past experience with it and the fact that I have taken it all apart then and now. This includes Stock & Barrel, sights front & rear, Bolt, Trigger and Trigger Guard and have restored it to the best of my ability with limited funds. On another website a few knowledgeable members gave me their opinion of the model that I have based on the pictures an ID markings. The best ID of this rifle mostly corresponds with what I have read on the Internet about the History of the Carcano Rifle. I believe that based on their help and my readings, that I have a M91/24 Suprema with parts that may have come from other similar model if infact these parts are interchangeable. I've attach some pictures in hopes that I can get additional opinions regarding the ID. More pictures are on the next posting.
Thank you for your response. Ron

Attachments:
Carcano Rifle 043.JPG
Carcano Rifle 043.JPG [ 131.88 KiB | Viewed 3590 times ]
Carcano Rifle 1.jpg
Carcano Rifle 1.jpg [ 60.7 KiB | Viewed 3590 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:55 am 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Ron,

From what I can see, you appear to have a sporterized Roma M91 long rifle. The stock and rear sight don't look to be from an M91/24, and the barrel seems to be too long for that model.

The "Suprema" was the name given to their sporters by an importer in the late 50s - early 60s. Since the work was done in the same shop, they have a very similar appearance. I've pics of a 'Suprema' in the sticky above.

There are also pics of an M91/24 compared to a long rifle. The M91/24 has a shortened stock while the Supremas did not alter the length of pull. See also the unique rear sight found on the M91/24.

Another tip-off to a sporter is the lack of a bayonet lug. All Italian military long arms have a bayonet lug - lack of same = a sporter.

If you'd like, I can post more pics of both models when I return home. If there's a specific view or side-by-side comparison you'd like of either, I'll post that. SW

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:39 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Thank you Colonel for responding to my post. You have substantiated a few of the other ID"s of this rifle. I wanted to post more pictures of it but the process would only allow two. I am new to this format so maybe I did not apply the right method. I now believe from my research and your response along with others, that this rifle was originally a M91 long rifle that was cut down to a carbine, which I understand was the practice for the Italians during WWl. I also believe that my rifle maybe a combination of interchangeable parts if that is possible. I would like to submitt more photos if you can instruct me on how to accomplishing this. I also want to adjust a picture to accomodate Avatar but even with following the written instructions I haven't been able to do so. Will you advise me on all of the above? Best Regards, Ron

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:05 pm 
The Knife
The Knife

Ron
You will just have to make additional post to post more than two pics. We don't complain about making more post for pics.

And I have heard through the grapevine that Hogger has a book coming out on the Carcanos.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:41 am 

Ron,

Work has been NUTZ, but finally, here's a little more information. Attached is a pic of the "standard" Suprema configuration. The barrel of yours seems a little longer, so it might have been done at home by a former owner. It's hard to say now. If it has a Made in Italy or Made Italy mark, it was probably done by one of the importers. Otherwise, someone may have wanted their rifle to be a little handier.

To make you avatar, go to the Campfire forum & there's a sticky relating to resizing pics for posting. It will also work for making your own avatar.

Open that link and upload a pic from the picture file of your computer. Follow the prompts and size it no larger than 100x100. Save it to your pic file. Then go to the user control panel and open the profile prompt.

Under avatar, click the upload image from your computer prompt and just click on the pic you resized.

If you still have trouble, upload the pic to a post here, and I'll size & make it your avatar. Usually, Bruce-n-Bruce do stuff like that, but they are both AWOL. ;)

As an aside, the Suprema shown is a tragedy. It was a Torino, and those are scarce! SW

Attachments:
ySuprema1.jpg
ySuprema1.jpg [ 33.11 KiB | Viewed 3563 times ]

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 1:27 am 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Colonel, I will follow your instructions and attempt to upload a photo from my gallery. Your advice is appreciated on both the ID of my Rifle and the format for entering an Avatar Emblem. Thanks to all that have helped me along the way.
Best Regards, Ron

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 4:12 am 

Ummm... I was only a Cpl. ;) SW