[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Uncommon marks

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 282 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Uncommon marks
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:00 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

This one really isn't that uncommon but is seldom identified elsewhere. The star headstamp is for Austrian Hirtenberger ammunition. I'm not sure how much Carcano ammo they made, but you don't see it after the 30s. SW

marking5.jpg
marking5.jpg [ 21.07 KiB | Viewed 15920 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:11 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Mind if I post a few in here? :Dbounce:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:34 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

go for it - we are watchin & learnin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:52 am 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

German proof marks on 3 different rifles. 2 from M1938's in 7.35mm and one from a 1942 Dated M91/38 Cavalry Carbine. All were bringback rifles.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:11 am 

There was quite a squabble on another site about one of the marks being bogus because it's a different size. All are legit. SW

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:32 am 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Last edited by Airforce1 on Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:42 am 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Also from the same rifles. This one is more of lack of marking that is uncommon. Both are in 7.35 and were installed on stocks and receivers of different dates. I am guessing when the Germans took over the Italians rifle plant they put a bunch together with parts they found there including NOS barrels left over from when they quit making the 7.35 model 1938 Short Rifle.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:52 am 

The squabble was on gunboards, of course.

I'm not able to comment completely on your last post. These are moschettos? If so, they were taken from Italian armories right after the king surrendered in 1943. Germans may have taken parts laying around, as well.

Some of the 7,35 moschettos taken from armories were given as aid to Bulgaria where a few made their way into partisan hands.

Lack of a serial number on a 7,35 has been seen. I have a short rifle lacking a number. I'm not able to explain that. SW

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:22 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:07 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

I would guess the unspeakable caliber is spoken here….

BTW, I am an uncommon Mark by definition…..

Best Regards,

Mark

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:00 pm 

Here's an uncommon and unknown mark on a vintage Italian desert helmet. (AKA topi) The big catch here is that the Italian language does not use the letter Y. So far the big time collectors haven't a clue. I'll leave this here in hopes a lurker knows what's up with it.

It's okay for you lurkers to post, you know! ;) :bigrin: SW

ItalianStuff 041 (1024x743).jpg
ItalianStuff 041 (1024x743).jpg [ 374.91 KiB | Viewed 15870 times ]

ItalianStuff 038 (1024x568).jpg
ItalianStuff 038 (1024x568).jpg [ 292.45 KiB | Viewed 15870 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:02 pm 

After checking around, it seems a German company acquired a lot of Italian equipment like this and gave them away as sales incentives/presents to customers. Besides BYVO, there was another.

Turns out these Italian tropical helmets marked like this turn up fairly often in Europe. SW

**ETA** Heard back from two prominent collectors in Italy who agree.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:26 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

The only question remaining is this…. Do you have one and do you wear it? Looks like something only a Vetterli would good with.

Best Regards,

Mark

BTW, had a chance to get something like that from a surplus/sporting goods site online a few years ago. I forgot its name, but it is huge.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:57 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Here are 2 rounds of 8x50r that were made by the Italians for the captured Austrian rifles still in use in the North African colonies. Have yet to find any more.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:45 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:06 pm 

Good to see you here, Kanister!! :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: Steve

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:02 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

welcome , glad you have joined us ..

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:52 am 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Thank you.

The 8x50 rounds were also used on the Schwarzloose MG, many were seized from Austria at the end of IWW aand sent to Libia and AOI.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:48 pm 

I'm not sure if the 'N' shown here is legit, but I'll post it against future information. "Never say never". ;) All I can tell you with certainty is that it's not Cyrillic. Never saw anything like this on an Albanian rifle - and this one reportedly has no import marks in any case.

A mark relating to someone's collection or personal monogram? Possibly. I'm leaning toward the monogram angle, but that's only a theory. I believe all marks like this need to be posted here so something obscure doesn't slip through the cracks. SW

marking5.jpg
marking5.jpg [ 60.12 KiB | Viewed 16019 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:37 am 

Here's another rifle that appears to have been made in 1919. No. No rifles were actually made in 1919. I have two M91TS dated 1919, but they were assembled from left over parts.

The serial number on this one comes back to a 1918 Terni. A 1919 replacement barrel was added at refurb & stamped with the old serial number. It's another example of a replacement barrel and a caution not to fall for a phoney ad claiming a RARE 1919 M91 long rifle.

I'd bid if it wasn't too crazy just because I've never seen a 1919 M91 barrel before. Italy was broke from the war & little was being done in the arsenals. SW

** lifted the pic from eGun dot de**

mark1.jpg
mark1.jpg [ 118.22 KiB | Viewed 16006 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 282 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next