[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Uncommon marks

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 282 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Uncommon marks
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:26 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Here's another Castelli mark. I've been following Castelli closely, and they seem to have mostly made Bodeo revolvers. Also Balilla youth moschettos, but not in great numbers. So far, 23 TS have been recorded and exactly one Carcano moschetto. Oh... also flare pistols. I think I already posted a pic of a Castelli flare gun. SW

mark2.jpg
mark2.jpg [ 51.86 KiB | Viewed 17505 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:21 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Hi 5th, you know that MIDA (Manifattura Italiana d'Armi), Toschi-Castelli, N e V Castelli, were the same factory that changed name during the years.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:23 am 

Grazie, Kanister! I have seen them all - I think Toschi Castelli was on a flare gun. SW

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:39 am 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

The chronology of the factory was:
- from about 1911: "Toschi e Castelli", by Napoleone Castelli and Giuseppe Toschi;
- from 1915 "MIDA" belonging to the same persons;
- after the dead of G.Toschi on 1918 entered Vittorio Castelli, so the name became "Napoleone e Vittorio Castelli"
The brand "MIDA" was nevertheless utilized sometime till 1958.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:38 pm 

Look closely, Italian arms fans - this may be the only time you see one of these.

PB is for Pietro Beretta, of course, But! Notice the bolt has a straight handle. Beretta only made one model with a straight bolt = the M91 long rifle. And for those of you who have been taking notes ( you really NEED to take notes! ;) ) you will quickly recognize those are darn rare. I've never actually seen one and I watch for such things daily.

This is on a beat up moschetto that appears to have come here from Albania. Bolts were no doubt switched around there. SW

Attachments:
mark1.jpg
mark1.jpg [ 68.86 KiB | Viewed 17469 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:55 pm 

Here's a better image of the diamond-shaped deactivation mark - farthest to the right. All the others are German OCD about marking proof test results. Which turned out to not be needed since it's a "deko" now.

In Europe, holes are drilled in the barrel & it's considered demilled. The barrel is considered the "heart of the gun" there - not the receiver. SW

mark4 (660x339).jpg
mark4 (660x339).jpg [ 162.5 KiB | Viewed 17459 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:25 pm 

Here's another headspace correction bolt - a #1. According to my notes, FP is for F Pedrotti. I am not able to say why all headspace correction bolts I've seen are marked with FP. Possibly that company machined them to the right tolerance. Could FP mean something else? The possibility exists. SW

mark5.jpg
mark5.jpg [ 62.89 KiB | Viewed 17452 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:32 pm 

This is a clear drawing of the "Crusader shield" navy mark. The segments are for different districts and units. SW

mark7.jpg
mark7.jpg [ 80.76 KiB | Viewed 17436 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:03 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:33 pm 

Yes, I saw his comments on another site. It seems to make sense, though. Do you have another idea about the marks? SW

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:00 am 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:05 pm 

Toschi Castelli made flare guns and Bodeo revolvers. This is not a common Bodeo maker. Toschi passed away in 1916. SW

mark8.jpg
mark8.jpg [ 85.1 KiB | Viewed 17410 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:58 am 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:28 am 

Grazie! I'll put that in my notes! SW

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:48 pm 

Here's a translation of the information Kanister found relating to the Crusader Shield navy marks. (Translated by Raphael Riccio).

The Italian word 'punzone' translates as punch. We can substitute stamp or die for that word. SW

Rules for assigning and use of acceptance punches: Each Naval Engineering and Naval Armaments Office had to maintain a register of who was assigned and authorized to use the acceptance punches. Each inspector was assigned four punches, only one of which was to be used on a daily basis. Punches would be exchanged on a periodic or aperiodic basis. When not in use the punches were kept under lock and key, and access was strictly controlled. Punches were issued in series. Inspectors had to keep a register of all material the marked with the acceptance punches on a daily basis. When punches broke or wore out they were destroyed and replaced by a new punch.

b2.jpg
b2.jpg [ 8.59 KiB | Viewed 17383 times ]
b3.jpg
b3.jpg [ 34.01 KiB | Viewed 17383 times ]
b4.jpg
b4.jpg [ 7.85 KiB | Viewed 17383 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:10 pm 

Time to talk about this mark again since I found a clear example. CE and AC are believed to be Italian marks put on Austrian rifles received as reparations for WW1. Possibly for those captured during the war, as well. Shown is a cut down Steyr M.95 long rifle.

The mark is believed to be an armorer's certification the rifle is fit for issue. There is speculation ( no actual proof) that these are inspector's initials. In conversation with collectors, rifles so marked are most often seen in connection with Italian colonies.

While this information isn't chiseled in stone, I'll leave it up pending further discussion. SW

k2.jpg
k2.jpg [ 69.17 KiB | Viewed 17374 times ]

k3.jpg
k3.jpg [ 32.47 KiB | Viewed 17374 times ]

k2.jpg
k2.jpg [ 29.98 KiB | Viewed 17374 times ]

Here's a link to Italian marks found on Austrian rifles.
http://www.hungariae.com/Mann95It.htm

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:18 am 

Here's another variation showing how a Carcano was rechambered to 6,5 Mannlicher. I'm not sure who did this one - possibly Greece in their civil war. SW

**ETA** Discussed the matter with HairyGreek, and he says it could also have been done commercially.

Attachments:
mark7.jpg
mark7.jpg [ 64.55 KiB | Viewed 17360 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:37 am 

Here's a mark on a Bodeo I've never seen before. FAR isn't the maker - it's a refurb mark. Fabbrica d'Armi... I'm guessing Roma. Roma refurbed rifles in the 1920s so they might also have refurbed a few Bodeos.

Thank you for the information, kanister!! :bigrin: SW

bode1.jpg
bode1.jpg [ 437.12 KiB | Viewed 17464 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:31 pm 

This is an uncommonly sharp Terni stock cartouche from 1911. You just never see them this nice. SW

mark7.jpg
mark7.jpg [ 97.67 KiB | Viewed 17456 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:34 pm 

This one is unknown. It seems too neatly struck to be bubba's work. I'll leave it up hoping for ID later on. SW

marking7.jpg
marking7.jpg [ 84.19 KiB | Viewed 17458 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 282 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next