[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - OK, got a 6.5 Carcano... please help me choose ammo

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:33 pm 

I am mostly a handgun guy, but after playing with older Berettas, and getting a Bodeo, I was bitten by the Carcano bug and picked up a 6.5 M38 carbine.

I have seen several things on the Internet about .264 vs .268 diameters, Hornady being either just right or oversized, Prvi Partizan being either just right or undersized... yikes!

Can any of you experienced Carcano guys help me figure out what to try, please?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:20 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Step one... don't buy Norma ammo!

Step two - slug your bore. If it's close to .268, either Hornady or Privi will do nicely.

I don't recommend using original surplus ammo due to the brittle brass. I'm not saying it will all detonate in your face, but once is too often.

You can pull down the old surplus stuff, and if the powder isn't clumped or smells odd, you can add it to primed modern brass and seat the original bullet to specs.

Step three... don't buy Norma ammo! The rim geometry is wrong, and the bullets are of the wrong diameter.

What do I shoot? Cast loads in all 3 Carcano calibers. I am too cheep to buy many jacketed boolets! ;)

And!! :welcome: I'm always glad to see a :nube: who wants to talk Italian rifles! :bigrin:

In honor of your first post, Tatya the part-time secretary and novel inspiration baked you a cake...
I'm hoping kaintuck and Mybusa left you a slice!

SW

Attachments:
zNoob1.jpg
zNoob1.jpg [ 39.81 KiB | Viewed 5657 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:06 pm 

Thanks for the input... sounds like it's time to slug the bore and figure out what I've got as a starting point. It may be a while before my work schedule permits. I'll very likely be back for more advice after that.

By the way, NebrHogger, how do you really feel about Norma 6.5?

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:18 pm 

I think I forgot to mention Norma ammo reeks! ;)

I've not actually seen any, but I hear Privi makes 7.35 ammo now, too. I've always found that caliber much more forgiving to load. SW

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:23 am 
Major
Major

Is it my imagination or is the Norma ammo also a little short when it comes to base to mid- shoulder length? I got some used cases for a friend once and they seemed too short to single load--the extractor would not engage the rim, but the bolt would close.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:01 am 

Could be. After I had consistent feeding trouble, I gave all mine away. SW

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:32 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:14 pm 

Yes. Regular 8x57mm Mauser ammo. Milsurp - American factory - hot handloads - the action will take it. I'd try something mild forst & look for primer protusion & other headspace indicators.

I think it would be fun to see how 8mm Breda would work, too. Kinda long & since I fancy a Garand at the moment, I better stay away from that sort of project. SW

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:48 pm 

No. The geometry is all wrong. SW

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:34 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

WAY different than 8 X 57 . The 8X56 projectile is .329 vs .323 of the 8X57, 8X56r is rimmed, 8X57 is rimless, as well as huge dimensional differences in the case.

8 X 56r

8 X 57

Also the carcano clip looks like this

I would give you a couple to modify for the 8X57 but I have only one or two left to use in my Vetterli conversion. All of my other carcano's have been traded off :-?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:24 pm 

This is one of the most common calibers in the world. Called 8mm Mauser - 7.9x57 in Europe. Still made by American ammo factories - offered by nearly every sporting goods outlet.

If you have a copy of Barnes CARTRIDGES OF THE WORLD in your gun library, there's a very good write up there.

If you don't have it, that book is a 'must have' - a wealth of knowledge about the most obscure rounds imaginable. SW

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:22 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General