Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:55 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Here is a WW1 "Antiaero" sighting attachment for a Carcano rifle that in theory allows a shooter to properly lead a flying target. It clamps onto the nosecap as shown. I believe this was a complicated system - the 12 page instruction manual is best enjoyed if you have a degree in geometry!

I'd like to know more of how widely this was produced. I can't imagine it was too popular given the variables involved in getting consistent hits on flying targets... like the ability to estimate range and target speed just for openers. Then consider things like a steady rest and all the nuances of trigger control.

I'm sure a belt-fed MG on a dedicated AA mount was quickly discovered to be a much more efficient and effective measure.

The astute forum member will soon notice this device seems to be in VG condition. That's because it's a recently made reproduction. A good friend in Italy told me he had one for a display, and I asked for the seller's contact info so I could also have a display. My friend sent one and a trade was made.

So be VERY careful when you see "original" Carcano AA sights advertised for sale. A shyster could easily bury some in the back yard for a few months to artificially age them to be sold as originals.

I suspect it won't be too long before they appear on the Euro auctions and eventually here.

A gentleman in Germany sent small details of the original such as screw size and metric thread pitch to help expose fakes as they appear. I have a photo of an original & there are differences... that the unsuspecting might not perceive.

Ask before you buy!

In any case, it's not a common accessory at all and is shown for your reference.

I'll post a pic from the instruction manual as soon as I discover how to lift one from a zip file. My Italian friend sent a copy of an original instruction manual & a prominent collector in Germany sent me the tiny details for use in exposing fakes.

The Carcano collecting community is small but close-knit! ;) :crzy: :rotflma: Good people, every one I have ever met!! :bigrin: SW

Attachments:
zzMirino 003.jpg
zzMirino 003.jpg [ 30.35 KiB | Viewed 4595 times ]
zzMirino 002.jpg
zzMirino 002.jpg [ 23.36 KiB | Viewed 4595 times ]
zzMirino 001.jpg
zzMirino 001.jpg [ 22.92 KiB | Viewed 4595 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:04 pm 

http://www.il91.it/il91.html

The link is for the instruction manual to the antiaero sight. Text in Italian but the illustrations give an idea how complicated the system was.

There was also a dedicated rear sight for the Carcano. My friend said he found a reproduction in plastic & I'll try to get one of those for my display.

No word on how effective the system was, but I can't imagine very many planes or dirigibles were brought down with Carcano rifles. SW

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:49 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

thats an interesting appendage , how often do you supose they tried using that - seems it might pi$$ a pilot off enough to strafe you :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:39 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Learned something tonight. I've never seen or heard of such a sight. The Japanese had the wings on the rear sight that they used. I've read where a platoon would lay down on their backs and someone would give estimated speed and lead of the aircraft and they would all shoot at the same time. A volley would be much more effective that a single shooter. But Ive never hear how successful they were in bringing down aircraft.