[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - What my daughter calls another sticky, slashy, poking thing

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:29 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

phppdNAOkPM.jpg
phppdNAOkPM.jpg [ 113.95 KiB | Viewed 9922 times ]
phpM45C2YPM.jpg
phpM45C2YPM.jpg [ 70.22 KiB | Viewed 9922 times ]

From estate tag sale today. Anybody know anything about them? Thinking maybe 1927 enlisted/NCO cavalry shashke. CCCP star hammer and sickle on pommel nickel platted furniture leather covered wood scabbard. Just starting to hunt for information on it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:32 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Cossack yatagan? SW

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:05 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Please show us some close ups of the markings. There are a slew of fakes out there that have/are coming in from China. One thing that stands out to me is the 91-30 bayonet when that era of shashka would have an M91 bayonet. I have seen several of the phonies is various states of 'age' from nearly pristine to downright rusty. Every single one had the wrong bayonet on it. Hows the blade look? An enlisted or NCO's would show some real use.

Hoping yours is real. Either way they are kind of neat.

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:06 am 
Major
Major

Very Nice!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:59 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

interesting piece , i take it its a sword/saber since the bayo is clasped to the scabbord ?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:34 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

phpLtf44QPM.jpg
phpLtf44QPM.jpg [ 94.39 KiB | Viewed 9908 times ]

Here is the first one. The others are not playing nicely, will post when I can get them through the resize. The blade shows age discoloration has been sharpened and the edge shows wear and has several nicks in the top third (point end) of the blade. I also hope it is real but for what I paid for it I will still be happy cause it is kinda neat.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:06 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

phpP66HI9PM.jpg
phpP66HI9PM.jpg [ 56.79 KiB | Viewed 9907 times ]
phpWxFnfHPM.jpg
phpWxFnfHPM.jpg [ 97.41 KiB | Viewed 9907 times ]

2 more, the drag also has the same marking as the bands.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:15 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

OK here's my take. If it is nickeled steel it would indicate NKVD use. The date of 1935 would be consistent with a 91-30 bayonet. The blade spearpoint looks right not like some of the phonies. Need to see some pics of the hammer/sickle as well as the nut holding the handle on.

Maybe this requires a road-trip to see it in person :bigrin:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:06 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

phpZzNZRmPM.jpg
phpZzNZRmPM.jpg [ 72.61 KiB | Viewed 9900 times ]
DSC07669.JPG
DSC07669.JPG [ 102.63 KiB | Viewed 9900 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:08 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

phpxkIYpbPM.jpg
phpxkIYpbPM.jpg [ 54.7 KiB | Viewed 9899 times ]

OK nut one side and back have to try the other side agin for some reason this thing is photo shy today.
Road trip, maybe doable once the holiday crazies get over.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:39 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Again I am not an expert by any stretch but from what research I did on these a few years back, yours looks to be legit :bigrin: The true tale from what I've gleaned is how it feels in the hand. They are supposed to be one of the best balanced weapons in the hand.

I think again this needs a road trip so'd we can slash up some melons or somesuch :jmp:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:45 am 
The Butcher
The Butcher

Okay, NOW I'm officially jealous !
Doesn't look like a repro to me, but I'm willing to take it of your hands either way.
The Chinese repros you see now have brass handles and fake-wooden grips.
Wanna trade it for a butcher (or 2) ?

A

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:36 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

that is indeed a nice looing piece , ET will have to report when he returns from the visit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:43 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Thanks for the offer Andrey but I have a sawback one hanging off a boom stick and do not really have a use for anymore of them. I have a number if bayos but don't really collect them. Got them to go with a rifle I have or because they are something that just catches my eye. Swords & daggers on the other hand do tend to accumulate around here.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:29 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Andrey, the Real ones were brass with brass fittings on the sheath as well. ore of those floating around than the nickeled steel version

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:47 am 
The Butcher
The Butcher

Yes, I mean it's not likely to be a copy as it is plated.
Never seen real wooden grips on a copy either.
Guesss it would be pretty safe to assume this one to be original.
BTW, Chinese copies go for 150 and up over here.

BRGDS, A