[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - German youth dagger

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: German youth dagger
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:05 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Received this item today from a friend at work and would like know where to begin some research. This is the only swastika marked item that I have and I'll admit that it kind of creeps me out.
Overall length is ten inches, leather is in place but top loop is broken. Blade tip is also missing. I think that it is a Hitler youth dagger. Info please.

Thanks for looking.
Dana

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:09 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

interesting piece , ive not got any info but may have a link or two that could help , ill look and post if i find them ,

this is one place ive used to look up such things ,
http://www.donet.com/~mconrad/bcnlink.htm

if you are willing to sign up there are some very top knotch sources here , and some extreemly beautiful collections as well - not my cup of tea , but very interesting and along the lines of your dagger ,
http://www.militariacollecting.com/index.php?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:13 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Yes. A HJ or Hitler Jugend dagger. SW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:58 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Be careful. You can buy repro youth daggers for about ten bucks. I don't know enough about them to tell the difference.

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth ...... firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. When firearms go, all goes..."
GEORGE WASHINGTON

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:02 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

ive steered away from all things nazi for both that reason and the feelings expressed by windstar , granted all i ever had was a nazi marked browning hipower but i sold it years ago ,

having said that id not turn anything away , there is value in the real deals , i hope yours is genuine , but ill not be able to help in determining that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:43 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

.......looks legit to me....broken tip...???pic would help further evaluation.....why fake it???...does the fella have any more history info about how he got it...???...if it was faked,someone put a lotta effort into it... :lol ;)
.....and if it creeps you out -send it to me.......its a war trophy...I dont wanna get all heavy and philosophical,but you have to separate the item from the ideology.otherwise anything in museums and collections would have to be destroyed because it was used against some group that it terrorized,killed,tortured ....heck-all milsurps should creep out us then....oh heck gschwertley could 'splain it better than me... ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:49 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

no , im not thinking that way mario , its not the same , im feeling creepy about it for altogether different reasons , and i think ill not go into all of them here , its not a case of thinking destroy or anything , its a case of feeling -i dont want to collect these , let someone else with a true caring do it , they will do a good job , i could collect japanese things i think if i hadnt already ventured int the US and commonwealth areas which is too large to do justice to for someone like me , id be better off with only one area - i could be better informed and better outfitted , who knows ---perhaps , one day , ill pick :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:29 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Thanks for the input and insights guys, all most welcome. My coworker's uncle did in fact bring it back from his tour in Europe during WWll. It came back in the condition as per the pics with the blade tip snapped off.
I'd posted a similar inquiry on another forum and learned that the RZM indicates the Tigerwerke Co as the point of manufacture and that it looks to be mid to late war style. It would have more collector interest if the blade was inscribed (Nazi motivational slogan of some sort). Either way like Herr Mario stated, it is a war trophy and will be an interesting object in my collection. I'm sure that all of our artifacts and war related collectables must have horrific tales to tell. Maybe this item creeped me out a bit because of the young nature of the person to whom it was issued. Some of the research material I've read is pretty chilling in regards to the Hitler youth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:00 pm 

Windstar,

You are right about the chilling aspect of the blade. The razis had no qualms about arming such children & sending them out to face battle-hardened Russian troops.

Who were very much prone to shoot first and not ask questions at all. SW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:27 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:55 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:55 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:47 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:15 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:42 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

May they rest in peace as honorable men who happened to live in such a turbulent time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:14 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:06 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

windstar - i caught the responces you got at gunboards , very interesting piece , im not much into anything german anymore[except my 1893 spanish mauser-berlin] but i do appreciate a fine piece when i see it , looks like you have a very nice one ,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:32 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:32 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Thanks Jon. The continuing input is terrific and reinforces the idea that all of these wartime artifacts are simply that, artifacts from a historic period.
Glad to be here as a new and contributing member. :)