Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: It's on its way
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:45 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

won this on sunday, I thought I saw someting like this in my bayonet book. Only problem is, I can't find my book now. It still looked like something I should have in my collection though. I'll have more pics when it arrives. It's a P14 bayonet that's been cut down to a knife, and the scabbard has been altered accordingly. The desc wasn't real clear as to all the markings on the blade, just the braod arrow and crown. I've seen another that was made from a remington M1913 blade, the plunger has been removed and filled in, and the barrel ring removed and worked down as well

NRA life member
583rd ORD Co/59 ORD BDE
Handorf FRG 1988-1990

Post subject: Re: It's on its way
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:48 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

somewhere ive seen something on these as well - i checked my jansens and its not there as far as i can tell , its not in my british & commonwealth book eather that i can find ,

but IIRC these were done for comando units in wwII , i just cant recall where i know this from - nor can i give you a reliability check on this data , it looks well done and it 'looks' british to me , ill feel lots better when i find my referance data ,

but , in the meantime , if you didnt invest obscenely its a great catch , i like it

thats a very nice example finish / condition

seeing this reminds me - i know you had that frog i needed and i think you gave it to swede for me - i have something for you as well next time we get together , hopfully soon :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:36 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

yup, he's got it with the ammo, the march show is 21-22, not sure where the earlier ones are, have to find my list. I'm trying to be good and save up for a trip to england for my birthday. I'd get back the same week as the fairgrounds show, so if I had any money left over I might be able to buy an ammo can or something :lol

NRA life member
583rd ORD Co/59 ORD BDE
Handorf FRG 1988-1990

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:15 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

ENGLAND - so its true then ? good on you , that will be a memorable trip , id love to visit scotland - perhaps one day i can ,

you better be there - ill buy you an ammo can and carry it to the car ,

swede and i can have a great time but you add a comic releif , and a bit of suspence when lost , and a bit of weight with all you bring to sell and all you buy , and ..........., and ..........,

oh hell enjoy yourself in england - i think i know someone who might arrange a bit of shooting if you can squeeze in the time

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:19 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

I found some info on google about this, and it came today, in really nice shape for something that's almost 100 years old, this is what I found on one site that sells them

These were originally for either the US made British P-14 Enfield Rifle or the US equivalent (M1917 Enfield). Most were produced by Remington. During WWII these Enfield Rifles were obsolete. Accordingly the US Government shortened the bayonets to a 7.5” blade, removed the mussel ring and shorted the scabbards – turning them into a trench knife. Large number of these were air dropped to the French Resistance. They were also issued to the Free French Forces. After the war the regular French Army continued to use them.

I saw somewhere else that said the french foreign legion used them as well. It's pretty interesting tho, 3 different countries involved for something as simple as a knife

NRA life member
583rd ORD Co/59 ORD BDE
Handorf FRG 1988-1990

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:49 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

these bayonets were the ones selected for the trench shotguns as well and used right up thru viet nam [canada made a bunch of 'modern' ones in that period - they were gray parked and fitted with black plastic scales , i had one and foolishly traded it off , they go for $250-300 now