Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A/Navy store find #2
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:24 pm 
Corporal
Corporal

I think this one is an Enfield bayonet. What can you guys tell me about it? I suspect that the grip panels are replacements. They say SLAZ 56. It has been sharpened at one time. Is the leather covered scabbard the right one? What all does it fit? I gave $85.0 for it, how bad is that?

Post subject: Re: A/Navy store find #2
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:45 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

its a commonwealth Pattern 1907 , those are replacement aussie grip scales , cant read the fine data ,

thats a correct scabbard , cannot see for certain but i think it a mangrovite [aussie] as it has a tint of brown tone ? and the frog is a correct one for home guard ,

fairly good price in my book

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:01 pm 
Corporal
Corporal

Thanks A square 10. I dug around in my mess and found a book on the no1 Mk1 and Mk3 rifles that I forgot that I had. Not a bayonet book though. The leather scabbard was made after 1915 but before 1937. It has the letters OA on the bottom metal piece. The scales are from the Slazenger Annex in Sydney, Australia SLAZ. The fine lettering ahead of the cross guard right side says XOA under an arrowhead. The other side has an 11 and a 43 under a tiny 19. So, this was probably made in 1943? And who is XOA? I never intended to collect bayonets :wink: but looked and discovered that I have better than 20 :roll: . I might need to buy some books on these some day. The one I really couldn't live without was the one in the other thread.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:57 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

yes , both the bayo and scabord are aussie ,

the OA is for 'orange' an aussie mfgr , the "X" is the bending test acceptance marking , the bayo was made in nov[11] of 19[43] as you surmised ,

the scabord is a mangrovite - check along the stitching seam , should be marked there with a date , the metal tip was made as a part at orange ,

typical aussie markings are 'lithgow' , 'MA' , 'OA'

for future referance the P1907 was made by a number of british mfgrs , the aussies , the indians , and remington here in the states , they were used throughout the commonwealth and beyond ,

its patterned after the japanese T-30

heres the T-30 next to my 1910 mole hookie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:41 pm 
Corporal
Corporal

Thanks again for the info A square. I couldn't see any name on the scabard but it has to be as you say. I have a couple of Jap toad stickers. Maybe some pics of those are in order. :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:52 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

definetly - post em , we live vicariously here :grin: